Want to Organize an Event...need some help/suggestions

Clay birds are the focus here

Want to Organize an Event...need some help/suggestions

Postby RobertNashville » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:52 am

Gentlemen (and ladies as well), I’m looking for some recommendations that I hope someone here can help me with.

One of my passions is sports cars…specifically, I’m very involved in a group here in Nashville dedicated to one particular brand of sports car and I am interested in organizing an activity for us that would likely include a short, fun drive in the mid-morning and then spending most of the rest of the day clay target shooting…this would likely be a relatively small group - how many is difficult to say but let’s assume in the range of 10-15 (we can limit the size if need be).

All levels of shotgun experience should be expected - I suspect very little experience with shooting clay targets. Likewise, some of these folks will have their own shotguns they can and would want to use but I’m also sure that others don’t have any at all and would either need to borrow other member’s shotguns and/or rent them from whatever range we use (if that’s even possible).

I would like to include some basic firearms safety instruction as well as, perhaps, some basic instructions on shooting clay targets. With regards to the actual shooting, I’m not really looking for full-fledged “trap” or “skeet” shooting; just something basic with the shooter standing in one spot.

Although I’m planning on doing some real clay shooting myself this year, I haven’t really done any of that in this area except on private property…so, I’m looking for a location in the Middle Tennessee area (or at least somewhere within a reasonable drive of Nashville) where we can do this.

We would be looking at doing this likely on a Saturday (or possibly a Sunday) and sometime in mid to latte march, or April or even very early in May (after about mid-May our guys are usually pretty busy with cruises, car shows, etc. that are already planned). With that said, if necessary, we could even push this into early fall.

If anyone has any recommendations on ranges, or who to contact to arrange something like this I’d very much appreciate it.

This is very much in the “early stages” of development so I’m very open to suggestions about how to make this happen so if you have any and/or if you need any more information, pleas feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Robert
-My Basset Hound is smarter than your honor student and 52% of the voting public -
RobertNashville

Re: Want to Organize an Event...need some help/suggestions

Postby johnharris » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:58 am

I would recommend talking to the management at the Tennessee Clay Targets complex. I know we have several TFA members there and that the club has been willing in the past to work with small groups to expose them to shooting and encourage their interest and hopefully patronage.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Trap/Skeet/Sporting Clays