[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - interesting things from my hunter safety course.

interesting things from my hunter safety course.

Need I say more?

interesting things from my hunter safety course.

Postby SomeGuy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:27 am

Yes, I am going to try to take up hunting. Should be an interesting adventure. However, the comedy started in the class.

In all seriousness, it has been pretty good. On the first or second day they pointed out multiple times that guns don't cause problems, it is people who have poor gun handling abilities (or criminals) who cause problems. Good stuff there.

Yesterday was kind of a miss though. While I have noted they give good safety advice, their legal advice is rather lacking.

Example: I overheard one of the guys telling some younger ones that anyone under 21 so much as touching a handgun was committing a crime. Not just in a hunting area, I mean period. No exception. I listened quietly, and quietly came up and talked to him after that. I politely pointed out that what he said was untrue, and corrected him. The other instructors came over, and became involved (everyone was polite, it became a big discussion). I bit my tongue when one of them shook his head and told me it was a federal law that people under 21 cannot possess handguns, period. Between us it was unresolvable, however we had a cop with us (I forget the title, wildlife officer though) and they wanted to ask him. While I know cops aren't libraries, I went along with it. (I did point out that lawyers should be asked this question, and that statement went over not at all well, because cops know the law, lawyers do not. After all, cops enforce it! *Sigh*, I wish I was making it up.)

He came over, and more or less agreed with them. At this point, I pretty much gave up, and we all agreed to disagree. It was polite, but frustrating. I said more or less earlier, because he said he would arrest anyone who was hunting and carrying a pistol without a valid carry permit. I kept my trap shut on this line, because if he lets people with HCPs carry pistols I am happy. (Not that I think he is right about under 21 possession, but the more cops who respect HCPs the better I say).

This brought up something I wanted to kick around on here. What do wildlife resource officers get taught on carry on state parks/WMAs? This cop was basically saying that HCP holders can carry pistols on them (which I admit, I think this follows the letter of the law), even though the others say it is prohibited. Is it speculation that it is illegal, but not enforced? Whats the deal there?
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Re: interesting things from my hunter safety course.

Postby johnharris » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:32 am

John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Re: interesting things from my hunter safety course.

Postby SomeGuy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:15 pm

I won't bring it up, and they even acknowledged later there was a discussion about it, so at the very least they are thinking that maybe they are wrong. That said, unless they are willing to sit down and let me show them the exact law coming from a website that has the TCA, I doubt I change their minds. Not a big deal, they focus on 10 parts of safety to every tenth of 1 part legalese. They do a fine job in their area.

It is funny though, when I got home I immediately looked up the law and 39-17-1319 was the one I mainly noted. (Course, you were more thorough, I never even checked Fed laws.) I am correct in saying that it is 100% legal in TN for a 20 yr old to buy a pistol in a PRIVATE transfer (or be given it by the parents), and not via an FFL, right?
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Return to Hunting