Candidates Respond To Questions

Presently inactive - needs chapter leader or team

Moderator: Butch Butler

Candidates Respond To Questions

Postby Butch Butler » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:19 pm

I have sent 6 questions to our local elected officials as well as those that would like to be.I will be posting their responses as they come in.Each person was told up front their answers would be made public.
I have the signed questions on file except for The General Sessions Judge who e-mailed his response to me.
Butch Butler
Butch Butler

Re: Candidates Respond To Questions

Postby Butch Butler » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:23 pm

This response is from General Sessions Judge Jimmy Smith.

Butch---it was good to see you again today and visit with you. As you know I was born and raised here in Rural America and am so very proud of that upbringing. Living on a farm I have always been around guns and grew up in a home where they were common place. While not nearly as active a hunter as I once was I still go occasionally and certainly enjoy the great outdoors. Having given that personal background, I would note that as a judge I feel strongly that I am called to uphold both the United States Constitution and the Tennessee Constitution as well as the laws of our great country and state. In doing so I recognize that some speech restrictions on my personal opinions are indispensable to maintaining the integrity, impartiality and independence of the judiciary. As a judge I am called upon to determine the merits of each case under the applicable law and the specific facts of the case before the court. Therefore, it would be improper for me to make pledges, promises or commitments that would reasonably lead to the conclusion that I have prejudged a decision or ruling in cases that would fall within the scope of the pledge, promise or commitment. In the end, as a judge my only pledge, promise or commitment should be to do what is fair, right and just under the law and facts of each particular case. If a judge has done that he has served the people and the law well. Thank you---Jimmy

Jimmy C. Smith
Obion County General Sessions Judge
Butch Butler

Postby Butch Butler » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:33 pm

This response from Obion County Mayor Benny McGuire.

With the current status of politics in our Great State and Republic, I am asking a few
questions of our Elected Officials as well as those that want to be elected.

It seems to me the answer is always the same, "Yes, I support the Second
Amendment." That is an answer that Firearm Owners will no longer accept as "good
enough".

Please be aware that I do not pledge my support along party lines but I will support
Constitutional Integrity. Your answers, or lack of answers, will be posted on every
media source that I have. This is your opportunity to reach 1000's of voters. I would
like to thank you in advance for your participation.

Do you agree "That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and bear arms for
the common defense; but the legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the
wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime?" If not, explain why.

Yes

Do you agree with the Tennessee Supreme Court (State v. Andrews) that laws must
be guided by and restrained to this end and bear some well defined relation to
prevention of crime or else it is unauthorized by this clause of the Constitution? If not,
explain why.

Yes

There are over 400 municipalities in Tennessee, 4 out of 5 of them chose not to "opt
out" of allowing Handgun Permit Holders to possess their firearms in Public Parks. Do
you support or oppose removing local restrictions on Permit Holders and why?

Support

Will you acknowledge, in public, the benefit of a legal armed citizen? If not, explain why.
Yes We need to remain armed to protect our families & our society.

Will you do everything within your power to strengthen the rights, (not privileges), of
Firearm Owners? If so, explain how.
Yes I will encourage citizens of our county to get their firearm permit.

Do you support the Tennessee Firearms Freedowm Act? If not, explain why.

Respondent - Benny McGuire 4-09-10 Obion County Mayor___________________________________________
Butch Butler

Postby Butch Butler » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Trena Taylor candidate for Obion County Mayor

With the current status of politics in our Great State and Republic, I am asking a few

Amendment." That is an answer that Firearm Owners will no longer accept as "good
enough".

Please be aware that I do not pledge my support along party lines but I will support
Constitutional Integrity. Your answers, or lack of answers, will be posted on every
media source that I have. This is your opportunity to reach 1000's of voters. I would

Do you agree "That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and bear arms for
the common defense; but the legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the
wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime?" If not, explain why.

Agree

Do you agree with the Tennessee Supreme Court (State v. Andrews) that laws must
be guided by and restrained to this end and bear some well defined relation to
prevention of crime or else it is unauthorized by this clause of the Constitution? If not,
explain why.

Agree

There are over 400 municipalities in Tennessee, 4 out of 5 of them chose not to "opt
out" of allowing Handgun Permit Holders to possess their firearms in Public Parks. Do
you support or oppose removing local restrictions on Permit Holders and why?
This is an area that I need to research fully to give an informed answer.

Will you acknowledge, in public, the benefit of a legal armed citizen? If not, explain why.

I fully support handgun permits for citizens.

Will you do everything within your power to strengthen the rights, (not privileges), of
Firearm Owners? If so, explain how.

I support the constitutional rights of Firearm Owners.

Do you support the Tennessee Firearms Freedowm Act? If not, explain why.

I do not have a copy of this act.Therefore,I have not the information
to support.I will read & make sure its points are understood.

Respondent _Trena J Taylor___Candidate for Obion County Mayor
Butch Butler

Postby Butch Butler » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:40 pm

This response is from Jimmy Powell Candidate for General Sessions Judge

> questions of our Elected Officials as well as those that want to be elected.
>
> It seems to me the answer is always the same, "Yes, I support the Second
> Amendment." That is an answer that Firearm Owners will no longer accept as "good
> enough".
>
> Please be aware that I do not pledge my support along party lines but I will support
> Constitutional Integrity. Your answers, or lack of answers, will be posted on every
> media source that I have. This is your opportunity to reach 1000's of voters. I would
> like to thank you in advance for your participation.
>
> Do you agree "That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and bear arms for
> the common defense; but the legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the
> wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime?" If not, explain why.

>Yes,I agree that citizens have a right and should have a right to keep and bear arms
> and I believe it is an indispensable right in order to protect the freedom that we enjoy
>in this country.However,I do agree that it is necessary in order to protect law abiding
citizens for the legislature to have some regulating power over the possession of firearms.
> Do you agree with the Tennessee Supreme Court (State v. Andrews) that laws must
> be guided by and restrained to this end and bear some well defined relation to
> prevention of crime or else it is unauthorized by this clause of the Constitution? If not,
> explain why.
>
> Yes, I do agree
>
> There are over 400 municipalities in Tennessee, 4 out of 5 of them chose not to "opt
> out" of allowing Handgun Permit Holders to possess their firearms in Public Parks. Do
> you support or oppose removing local restrictions on Permit Holders and why?
> Yes,I support it as long as the background check of the permit holders is done properly.
>so that we can be assured that our general public is protected.
>
> Will you acknowledge, in public, the benefit of a legal armed citizen? If not, explain why.
>
> Yes,I have a strong belief in our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
>
> Will you do everything within your power to strengthen the rights, (not privileges), of
> Firearm Owners? If so, explain how.
>
> Yes
>
> Do you support the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act? If not, explain why.
>I am not familiar with this Act.However I would support any legislation that
>guarantees law abiding citizens the right to Keep and Bear Arms.
>
>
> Respondent _James Powell
>Candidate for General Sessions Judge
>
>
>
Butch Butler

Republican for State Rep. answers

Postby Butch Butler » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:43 pm

enough".

Butch,I appreciate your effort to promote the Rights of gun owners.Also,you are correct in asking
for more than a "Yes","No"answer.It is just too easy for liberals to hide and straddle the fence.

Below are my answers to your questions.
1.Do you agree "That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and bear arms for the
common defense;but the legislature shall have power,by law,to regulate the wearing of arms
with a view to prevent crime? If not, explain why.

Yes,I do promote our right to keep and bear arms for the common defense.I have no problem
with the current concealed carry permit system.I do feel the regulation of wearing of arms
should be limited.I do not favor any additional fees or increase in fees needed to acquire
carry permit.

2.Do you agree with the Tennessee Supreme Court ( State v. Andrews) that laws must be guided
by and restrained to this end and bear some well defined relation to prevention of crime or else
it is unauthorized by this clause of the Constitution? If not,explain why.

Yes,I agree with this decision.However,the legislature was given wide latitude in determining the
relation to the prevention of crime.No one has yet proven a connection to the current gun carry
laws and an increase in gun related incidents in our City,County and State parks.

3.There are over 400 municipalities in Tennessee,4 out of 5 of them chose not to opt out of
allowing Handgun Carry Permit Holders to possess their firearms in Public Parks.Do you
support or oppose removing local restrictions on Permit Holders and why?

I support removing local restrictions unless they can meet the requirements given in the case
cited in Question #2.At the risk of repeating myself,no municipality has yet shown a clear
connection (proof) between crime in their parks and recreational areas and the carrying of a
concealed weapon by an approved CCWP Holder.

4.Will you acknowledge,in public,the benefit of a legally armed citizen?If not explain why.

Yes.Statistics have clearly shown that where there is an increase in the number of
armed citizenry,the rate of crime has decreased.Personally,I can think of no better reason
to have more concealed carry permits.The current criteria used to obtain a carry permit
should be maintained.

5.Will you do everything within your power to strengthen the rights,(not privileges),of
Firearm Owners? If so explain how.

Yes,I would actively support legislation to this end:extending all concealed carry rules
to all parts of the State,including counties and municipalities.I would support,and even
sponsor legislation to make firearms more accessible,and ownership and the use less
burdensome when I become educated that sush problems exist.

6.Do you support the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act? If not explain why.

The Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act is the bill that says if a weapon is made in TN,
sold in TN,used in TN,it is not subject to federal rules concerning that weapon.Yes,I
fully support the Act as I feel the Federal government has exceeded its Constitutional
authority in this area as in many other areas (Health Care,Auto buyouts,etc.)

Bill Sanderson

I have the signed original on file.
Butch Butler
Butch Butler

Democratic Incumbent State Rep. answers

Postby Butch Butler » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:46 pm

enough".

1.Do you agree "That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and bear arms for the
common defense;but the legislature shall have power,by law,to regulate the wearing of arms
with a view to prevent crime? If not, explain why.

2.Do you agree with the Tennessee Supreme Court ( State v. Andrews) that laws must be guided
by and restrained to this end and bear some well defined relation to prevention of crime or else
it is unauthorized by this clause of the Constitution? If not,explain why.

3.There are over 400 municipalities in Tennessee,4 out of 5 of them chose not to opt out of
allowing Handgun Carry Permit Holders to possess their firearms in Public Parks.Do you
support or oppose removing local restrictions on Permit Holders and why?

4.Will you acknowledge,in public,the benefit of a legally armed citizen?If not explain why.

5.Will you do everything within your power to strengthen the rights,(not privileges),of
Firearm Owners? If so explain how.

6.Do you support the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act? If not explain why.

Representative Judy Barker replies

As your State Representative,I took an oath to support the Constitution of this
State and of the United States.

Yes,I agree that the citizens of this State have a right to keep and bear arms for
the common defense; but the legislature shall have power,by law, to regulate the
wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.This language is found in the
Constitution of the State of Tennessee,Article 1 Section 26.

I agree that laws must be guided by and restrained to this end and bear some well
defined relation to prevention of crime or else it is unauthorized by this clause of
the Constitution.

According to our state constitution,only the legislature shall have the power,by
law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.Hopefully,in
the future we can readdress the opt out provision.

I have publicly acknowledged the benefit of a legal armed citizen.I have done
everything within my power as a public servant and private citizen to strengthen
the rights of Firearms Owners.

I proudly supported and voted for the Tennessee Firearms Act,Public
Chapter 435.

State Representative Judy Barker,District 77

I have the signed original on file.
Butch Butler
Butch Butler

Return to Obion / Union City Region