Pigeon Forge passes gun ban in parks

List the park along with city or county in the title. If necessary, use multiple posts to list multiple parks if its not a city or county wide ban. Please provide backup support such as photos, letters, website links, news reports, etc. Please provide contact information when available.

Pigeon Forge passes gun ban in parks

Postby Tim Nunan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:35 am

http://mountainpress.southernheadlines. ... tory=22918

PIGEON FORGE -- The Pigeon Forge City Commission voted Monday (10 August) to pass a resolution prohibiting handguns in public municipal parks and other similar public places.

The move comes after a recent change in state law that would allow handguns on municipal properties. The General Assembly had given Tennessee's cities the option of instituting their own bans to keep guns out of their own parks. Municipalities that don't act will start allowing guns in those areas at the beginning of next month.

City Attorney Jim Gass said the resolution did not apply to the greenway trail (meaning permit owners could carry their guns on the trail but not in Patriot Park).

"Unfortunately, we've been put in this situation," Mayor Keith Whaley said. "Do we need to carry a gun to the park? No, probably not. But I don't feel like I can tell someone they can't carry (a gun to the park). The board had to take a pragmatic approach, and the issue with the schools was very important."

Gass confirmed that even if the ordinance wasn't passed, a person carrying a gun at the park during a school function would be in violation of the law. He added that if the gun stayed in the owner's car, there was no violation.

Before the board voted, members of the public were allowed to plead their case.

"I'm a retired New York police officer, and I love my Second Amendment," local resident Joey DeBergalis said. "I've done my research, and there hasn't been one incident in relation to handguns (in Tennessee parks) in five years! It's hard to get a pistol permit here, and it's a privilege. Please don't take this away from people. They're not going to be walking around like cowboys."

Fellow Sevier County resident Richard Balk echoed DeBergalis' sentiments, telling the board, "You guys are living in a paradise. Bad things can make their way here. Please don't do this."

Richard Yake, an umpire with the Sevier County Baseball Association, said that although he had a gun permit, he "wouldn't dream of bringing it to the park."

"I'm against guns in the park," Yake told commission members. "It gets real rowdy (during the games) with parents."

Commissioner David Wear, a handgun training instructor and former police officer, also thanked the public for its input before the board voted.

"I want you to know there's been a lot of thought put into this," Wear told them.

DeBergalis said the passing of the resolution was "a joke."

"This is only the beginning," he said. "They're wiggling and wiggling out of our Second Amendment."

Commissioner Kevin McClure said his decision to approve the ban was based on what his constituents wanted.

"It was 90 percent to 10 percent (in favor of the ban)," he said.
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Return to Local Parks