[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Knoxville will not vote on Parks issue.

Knoxville will not vote on Parks issue.

List the park along with city or county in the title. If necessary, use multiple posts to list multiple parks if its not a city or county wide ban. Please provide backup support such as photos, letters, website links, news reports, etc. Please provide contact information when available.

Knoxville will not vote on Parks issue.

Postby C. Richard Archie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:08 pm

From the Knoxville Mayor:

"I am writing to keep you in the loop regarding the guns in parks issue. When I last corresponded with you Knoxville City Council had postponed a vote on exercising the "opt out" provisions of the law passed during the last legislative session. This provision allowed those with legal permits to carry in city parks. The resolution addressing this matter was scheduled for a vote at the August 25th City Council meeting and a workshop was set for August 20th.

However, in reviewing the law and related documents the City Council Attorney and the City Law Director have concluded that the city ordinance that outlaws firearms would remain in effect regardless of any council action because the provisions of the newly enacted state law "shall not affect the validity of any ordinance or resolution lawfully enacted prior to April 8, 1986." The Knoxville city ordinance outlawing firearms in parks was passed well before that date.

A Council workshop is scheduled for August 20th at 5PM to hear from citizens and to discuss this matter. Thank you for your support of the second amendment and your interest in the guns and parks issue in Knoxville. I am committed to upholding our second amendment rights."

How the ruling Junta feels about HCP Holders.

We need to gear the Legislature up to modern standards, we now know the way some of our City Governments view us.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Re: Knoxville will not vote on Parks issue.

Postby johnharris » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:54 am

Seems to me to be a poor result from a "pro gun" candidate.

Since he did not offer it, some constituents might consider asking him to request in writing that the council repeal the existing ordinance....

He can't straddle the fence then.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby C. Richard Archie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:23 pm

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby n24wheel » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Where does it say in the Parks law that any local law passed before 1986 is exempt from the new state law?

David
TFA Life Member www.tfaonline.org
NRA Life Member www.nra.org
USPSA Life Member www.uspsa.org
Southern Four Wheel Drive Assoc. Dir. of Legislative Affairs www.sfwda.org
n24wheel

Postby ProguninTN » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:42 am

ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby macville » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:41 pm

The goal right now needs to be to get the city council to strike down the old law and then not op-out. I think there might actually be a chance of that if the Aug 20th meeting goes well. Maybe we need to let Haslam know that he should suggest to the council that it would be wise to strike down the old law and then not opt out. I don't think he can actually propose anything, but he can suggest things I believe.

Matthew
macville

Postby ProguninTN » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:26 pm

ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby macville » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:39 pm

macville

Postby ProguninTN » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:03 pm

ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby tkdmavrick » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Last week, Thursday September 3, Knoxville City Council had a "guns in parks" workshop. People from both sides spoke (TFA was WELL represented) and then the KCC spoke amongst themselves. The current situation in Knoxville, is that KCC passed an ordinance prohibiting guns in Knoxville parks prior to April 1986 (the grandfather "date" as set forth in the state pre-emption law (39-17-1314). The penalty is currently a civil penalty with a $50 fine. If KCC rescinds this ordinance then they must "opt-out" or not. "Opting-out" would criminalize park carry in Knoxville as a Class A misdemeanor. I believe that the KCC will vote on rescinding the ordinance at the next KCC meeting 9/22/09.

There are three governmental entities around Knoxville. They are : City of Knoxville, Town of Farragut, and Knox County. Currently, as per my understanding, Knox County and Farragut have NOT "opted-out" so carrying in Knox County and Town of Farragut parks is legal as of 9/1/09.
David Morrow
Knoxville

Proud Member:
TFA
Life Member NRA
SAF
VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)
tkdmavrick

Postby tkdmavrick » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:09 pm

The Knoxville City Council finally got around to voting about "opting out" or "opting in". With great courage, they did neither. Councilman Steve Hall, who is very pro gun, tried to rescind an old pre '86 ordnance that prohibited firearms in Knoxville parks. The vote was 6-3 against the motion to rescind. That means that the status quo in Knoxville remains the same. So ....if you want to carry in Knoxville city parks, in my opinion, go ahead. The penalty, if caught is a $50 civil penalty ...no misdemeanor ...no felony.... nothing against state law ...... perhaps nothing against your permit. Just a civil penalty. I asked many people, including Steve Hall, if I could pre-pay my fine, since I had my credit card with me.

Care to chime in on this John Harris? Legal issues? Intent to go armed?
David Morrow
Knoxville

Proud Member:
TFA
Life Member NRA
SAF
tkdmavrick

Postby tkdmavrick » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 pm

By the way folks,

I recorded the city council meeting with all speakers ..... I would be glad to provide a copy in an email to whoever wants one.

TKDMavrick@aol.com
David Morrow
Knoxville

Proud Member:
TFA
Life Member NRA
SAF
tkdmavrick

Return to Local Parks