Knoxville Parks issues.

List the park along with city or county in the title. If necessary, use multiple posts to list multiple parks if its not a city or county wide ban. Please provide backup support such as photos, letters, website links, news reports, etc. Please provide contact information when available.

Knoxville Parks issues.

Postby C. Richard Archie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:47 am

Reply from a conversation via E-mail with Ms. Pelot of the Knoxville City Council, after reading an article in the Knoxville News Sentinel quoting concern by her on threating messages relative to the Parks issue, I had contacted Ms. Pelot concerning the fact that we had a very similar experience in Jackson, but that the messages received by the Council members of a threating type were unsigned, bearing no contact information, and from IP addresses that did not lend themselves to being traced. Her quote in the paper was: “I haven gotten the most mean-spirited e-mails … from these so-called welltrained, law-abiding, permitholding people”

Her reply to my e-mail:

Mr Archie, thank you for taking your time to contact me regarding this issue before the Knoxville City Council. As I am sure your have learned, a public workshop has been scheduled for August 20th at 5:00 pm in the main assembly room at the City-County building in order to have a protracted public discussion on the matter, with the public invited to speak. In the published interview I felt compelled to speak to the email threats, as it does raise the question of the integrity of permit holders. I also felt that fellow permit holders needed to address the negative impact and concerns these irresponsible people were bringing to the Council at a time when serious, respectful discussion and advocacy should be practiced. I was interested to learn that the Jackson area had experience similar behavior and lack of judgement by a few and just how it can impact a decision we must make on the issue. Thank you for your interest in the Knoxville process. I hope that the conduct at the public hearing will allow us to feel comfortable in supporting the 2nd amendment. For me, it is a very weighty matter and I will give it my most dedicated attention. Barbara

Barbara B Pelot, Knoxville City Council
Second District
8437 Corteland Drive
Knoxville, TN 37909
(H) 693-0454
(O) 671-1544
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Return to Local Parks