Trenton upholds Citizen rights in Local Parks

List the park along with city or county in the title. If necessary, use multiple posts to list multiple parks if its not a city or county wide ban. Please provide backup support such as photos, letters, website links, news reports, etc. Please provide contact information when available.

Trenton upholds Citizen rights in Local Parks

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:30 am

From member Tony Petty:

The Trenton City Council voted 3-2 to not "Opt-out" of HB 0716 with respect to Carry in Local Parks.

Please contact the members of the Council that showed faith in the HCP Holders to act responsibly, and let them know that their efforts are appreciated.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Re: Trenton upholds Citizen rights in Local Parks

Postby backwoodsman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:00 pm

dont get much closer than that, applause to that council and the citizens there
"Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God." Benjamin Franklin
"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus (Roman Senator)

T.F.A.
N.R.A.
backwoodsman

Postby J A P » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:55 am

I am now told, by the same Alderman who gave the first report (which was correct per the local paper) that Trenton did a re-do last week and our park is now banned. It appears that it was kept very quite before the meeting. I have kept a close eye on the website and the agenda for last weeks meeting is still not posted, it shows up but when you go to it, it takes you to the previous meeting dated 7/14/09. I am told that the new vote was tied 3-3 and the Mayor had to break the tie. His message in last weeks paper (after the first vote says it all). I accually learn of this last Thursday but just now getting to post it.
J A P

Postby C. Richard Archie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:32 am

Seems to be the watchword for all the small cities, go behind the publics back, deal in stealth and usurpation of the Rights of the Citizen. The Ruling Juntas are taking over, doing what is "best" for you. Not only are they denying your 2nd Amendment Rights, but your 1st as well:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

It would seem to me that not publishing a notice that the matter is to be taken up is in violation of the 1st Amendment, how could you petition the "Government" if they do not let you know they are to deal with the issue.

Take the MTAS view that firearms are evil, and that legal carry is to be avoided at all cost. Let the criminals operate with impunity.

The Federal Government decided it was "best" to allow HCP Carry in their parks, The State has decided to allow that Right for State Parks, what gives these City and County folks the right to deny public input, afraid the general population may want a voice? :evil:

Wait for the first law suit involving a HCP Holder denied their Rights, the rats will be seeking cover at that point.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby J A P » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:20 am

According to today's paper, the council rescinded the action of the last meeting to allow permit holder to carry their gun at the city park, by a motion made by the member "Bubba" Abbott who was absent at the last meeting and seconded by another member who voted to ban at the previous meeting. It stated that the mayor had researched Roberts Rules of Order and that the issue could be brought back up and the action rescinded. The three Aldermen who voted to stay with new law and allow carry did the same again, I thank them for standing their ground. The tie breaker came from the mayor, who has now gotten his way, with no input from the public. Mr. Abbott is quoted as saying he was shocked when he saw in the Gazette what had taken place. The paper didn't come for a week after the vote. I knew within an hour after the first vote, and I wasn't at the meeting either. Jim Overall, Richie Cannon, and Joe Hammonds were the Council members who voted against opting out and to allow us to keep our rights to our own protection. Again, I thank them for standing their ground.

The members who voted to take away those rights and turn our park over to the criminal element were Michael "Bubba" Abbott, Frank Gibson, and Ricky Jackson, and them the Mayor, Tony Burriss.

T. Petty
J A P

Postby C. Richard Archie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:31 am

It is my understanding that the matter can be brought up and voted on as many times as the Council deems necessary.

I would think that a grass roots effort to convince the Mayor and the Council members who consider the HCP Holders to be a hazard to the safety of the community, (in lieu of the criminal element that they have effectively advocated for), might bring a public discussion to bear. It is a numbers game, if you can enlist the aid of fellow Citizens to demand a public forum and debate, there is always the possibility that the Local Government would change their attitude.

In the paper, did the Mayor and his supporters of this travesty offer any data showing how denying the Constitutional Right to Bear Arms was to limit crime?

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby J A P » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:33 pm

I'm working on "numbers". No mention of anything other than "I don't think we need guns in our parks".
I won't let it lay, not for a long time.

T. Petty
J A P

Postby C. Richard Archie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:38 pm

A fire burns hottest when it is fanned!

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Return to Local Parks