[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Bristol Council votes July 7 to ban carry in local parks

Bristol Council votes July 7 to ban carry in local parks

List the park along with city or county in the title. If necessary, use multiple posts to list multiple parks if its not a city or county wide ban. Please provide backup support such as photos, letters, website links, news reports, etc. Please provide contact information when available.

Bristol Council votes July 7 to ban carry in local parks

Postby GKar » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:00 pm

Bristol City Council has placed on their agenda for July 7 a resolution (09-69) banning the carry of handguns in local parks. Councilpersons Margaret Feirabend and David Shumaker have already publically . I've spoken with three of the five council members: Staton seems inclined to oppose the measure, Messimer simply listened and noted my objection, and Feirabend stated "you've made some points I'll check out and that bear consideration" without any further discussion or inquiry.

Email contact info can be found .

Media reports indicate that the Kingsport Board of Mayor and Alderman will be taking up a similar resolution at their next meeting.
GKar

Re: Bristol Council to vote July 7 to ban carry in local parks

Postby GKar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:58 am

I've now spoken with 4 of the 5 council members. Mr. Staton was very engaged and inquisitive, indicates that he has issues with the proposed ban, and will likely vote against it. Mr. Shoemaker stated that he believes the 2nd amendment is just as outdated as slavery and women's suffrage, and that no one in todays society needs to carry a handgun. Mrs. Feirabend listened to me, said I raised some points she would have to check out and think about, but asked no questions. Dr. Messimer had difficulty following the conversation, and just said that my objection to the ban was noted. I cannot find verbal contact for Testa, so I emailed him yesterday evening...no response as yet.
GKar

Re: Bristol Council to vote July 7 to ban carry in local parks

Postby GKar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:22 pm

As expected, Council voted 3-2 to ban handgun carry in local parks. Feirabend, Testa and Shoemaker voted yes to the resolution banning carry, Staton and Messimer no - although Messimer later admitted he intended to vote yes, but Shoemaker's outlandish remarks critical of anyone who would want to carry a gun infuriated him (but, he already knew that there were 3 yes votes, so...) Staton actually got it - he said during debate that this vote was not really about whether or not carry in local parks was right or not, but that it was really about Council taking away rights from citizens without cause. No on else present wanted to hear that. Testa and Feirabend remined silent through debate. Testa told me before the meeting that he intended to vote yes...he had received my email, but was not moved to change his mind. Feirabend had earlier stated in the paper her intent to vote yes, as had Shoemaker.

Shoemaker went a bit ballistic in his opposition to my remarks (I was the only person present to address the resolution)...said that the only reason anyone would ever carry a gun was because they were either afraid of all their fellow Bristolians, or because they needed their machismo fix. He's also the clown that told me earlier today that the 2nd Amendment was just as outdated as slavery and women's voting rights...
GKar

Return to Local Parks