[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - vehicle carry????

vehicle carry????

Discussion and planning relative to local legislation impacting firearms owners

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

vehicle carry????

Postby rich » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Public Chapter 431 – Loaded Rifles and Shotguns in Vehicles – This act allows a person with a handgun carry permit to possess a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in a privately owned vehicle. The act provides that the weapon cannot have ammunition in the chamber except in the case that an individual permit holder feels physically threatened.Effective Date: June 12, 2009

Ok I didn't know this code even existed. If you were pulled over and asked for your weapon they could raise an issue because it is loaded? Would they have the burden of proof to say that you weren't threatened if you took that stance? At what time should you load your weapon when you exit the vehicle. They certainly don't want you to rack one when you get out at the store. The code doesn't differentiate with the vehicle being in operation or parked. So I guess it also pertains to the passenger. This code doesn't even make any sense. By the time you felt threatened the time to act is now, not after you have chambered a round. A criminal is going to give as little warning as possible. This code needs fixed!

Rich
rich

Re: vehicle carry????

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:11 pm

This Law was more about hunters carrying their long guns for that purpose, and allowing ammo to be carried within reach in the same compartment, which prior to this laws enactment, was intent to go armed under the TN Code. As handgun carry permit holders are the only ones allowed to carry their long guns with ammunition in the magazine, or within reach in the same compartment, it is not intended I think, for you to get out and go in Wal-Mart or the 7-11 carrying a shotgun or rifle. There is nothing in the new law that provides for long arms to be carried inside stores, even with a carry permit, which only allows handguns to be carried. It is simply for the long gun to be in the vehicle, with ammunition in the magazine, or within reach of the occupant, and they MUST be HCP Holders to be legal in doing so. Should you be confronted with a situation that appears threatening, you are then allowed to bring a round into the chamber, while in your vehicle.

I am not a lawyer, but I think I understand the intent, and gist of this Public Chapter, others will be along to flesh it out and give you a better reasoned response. But for now, and until someone who has better knowledge and a legal degree chimes in, please, do not tote your long gun into a business or public place of any type.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby GraceOutcast » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 pm

I am still perplexed why we are trusted to have a round in our handgun but not in a long gun. I love the new law strictly for the fact that I don't have to worry about ammo separation during transportation.
GraceOutcast

Postby rich » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:43 am

Okay, I see that this code then only applies to long guns. I was told by an individual that he was pulled over for an infraction and was asked to brandish his carry weapon. He was then informed by the officer that he was not allowed to have a round in the chamber. Reading a little more carefully I see that it didn't mention handguns. I was a little thrown back thinking I wasn't allowed to have a round chambered in my handgun. I am not very concerned about having a long gun loaded. Although I have took a wrong turn into some neighborhoods were I wish my AR was with me loaded. So this code only pertains to long guns and shotguns, correct?

Rich
rich

Postby JayC » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:06 am

JayC

Postby johnharris » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:46 pm

The House version of the bill did not prohibit chambered rounds in long arms on the theory of if you have a handgun permit - what's the difference other than possible "negligence" by the permit holder/hunter.

The Senate Judiciary came up with the no round in the chamber idea. Now, not a bad idea but we could have done things a lot easier with the House version. I know too many hunters who simply do not unload.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby Dan Lee » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 am

Dan Lee

Return to Legislation - Local