Lenoir City leaders discuss allowing guns in city parks

Discussion and planning relative to local legislation impacting firearms owners

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

Postby Victor N TN » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:59 pm

I guess I go to the city council meeting Monday...

http://loudon.xtn.net/story/10916

August 19, 2009

Published: 3:13 PM, 08/18/2009 Last updated: 3:15 PM, 08/18/2009

Author: Greg Wilkerson

Those who feel safer with a firearm on the Town Creek Greenway or at Lenoir City Park may get to continue carrying a concealed weapon while others at the city's swimming pool and Lee Russell athletic fields may be required to leave their handguns at home.

At Monday's workshop Lenoir City Council members discussed whether to allow those with gun permits to carry in the city's parks, which includes the pool, greenway, athletic fields and other more traditional areas. On Sept. 1 a new state law takes effect allowing guns in parks, however local municipalities can choose to opt out.

Mayor Matt Brookshire explained the council has the right to selectively opt out by restricting guns in certain parks while continuing to allow them in others.

"I'm certainly not opposed to limiting access at the pool site, but I'm not for limiting access at the greenway or the city park," said council member Tony Aikens. "Most people who have handgun-carrying permits are law-abiding citizens."

Aikens, who is also chief deputy for the Loudon County Sheriff's Office, said he knows of women who carry guns while they walk alone on the trail and he would not support taking that right away.

Vice-Mayor Eddie Simpson echoed Aikens' remarks saying the parks are safer because the "crooks know we have the right to protect ourselves over there." He said he didn't want to create a situation where the criminals were the only ones with handguns.

The Lenoir City Recreation Advisory Board met last week and discussed the issue, and Parks and Recreation Director Steve Harrelson said they decided by a vote of 4 to 2 to opt out of the state law and make guns illegal in all city parks.

He said issues could arise at sporting events where emotions are high.

To complicate the issue further, Harrelson said the Town Creek Greenway passes through Wampler-Keith Park, which hosts sporting events. Council members discussed finding an option to allow guns on the greenway, but not the rest of Wampler-Keith Park, which may not be a possibility.

The board could not vote during the workshop, but the item is set to be on the agenda at Monday's regular meeting.

"Put me down for no firearms period," said council member Bobby Johnson. "I don't think we need them."
Victor N TN

Re: Lenoir City leaders discuss allowing guns in city parks

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:20 pm

What that City does not need is Bobby Johnson on the Council!
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby Victor N TN » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:11 pm

I'll be sure and post a report on tonights city council meeting.
Victor N TN

Postby Victor N TN » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:28 pm

I just got home a little while ago. But I want to get this on paper as soon as I can so I don't forget any of it.

I "borrowed" a letter that John had written and posted in one of the forums. I can't remember which one. I printed off several copies and took it to the Lenoir City council meeting tonight. After all the regular agenda budget items, it came time and the mayor asked it there were any items of question by the citizens in general. One man got up and made a short speech why people shouldn't be able to carry. Open, concealed or otherwise. I know the mayor. Slightly but he does recognize me. When he looked in my direction I asked if I could make a rebuttal to the other gentleman's statement. I gave the council members the copies I had taken and made a brief synopsis to keep my statement short. (There were other people there with things to discuss.) But then I found out that they weren't going to vote on it tonight like was previously thought.

I want to apologize for not being a member. This has brought the importance of the TFA home to me. I promise next month when I get my check I will be sending in my membership check. I was vaguely aware of the TFA since 1996 when I first got my concealed carry permit. Although being a Life Member of the NRA, I wasn't aware of how important it was at the LOCAL level. But this past few days have opened my eyes. I NEVER thought any kind of firearms laws would come down to this sleepy little town.
Victor N TN

Return to Legislation - Local