[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Parks Bill - Local action - Nashville

Parks Bill - Local action - Nashville

Discussion and planning relative to local legislation impacting firearms owners

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

Parks Bill - Local action - Nashville

Postby johnharris » Wed May 20, 2009 10:26 am

John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Re: Parks Bill - Local action

Postby Lemonhead » Wed May 20, 2009 12:49 pm

I don't understand why some people think us legal carry permit holders are just eager to whip out our pistols and shoot women, children, kittens, etc.
Lemonhead

Postby redbarron06 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Email sent to entore metro council and my counsilmen.

Army Aviation Association of America
National Rifle Association
Gun Owners of America
Tennessee Firearms Association
redbarron06

Postby johnharris » Wed May 20, 2009 2:23 pm

ALL of us need to start contacting local council members or whatever they are called locally.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby ProguninTN » Thu May 21, 2009 1:03 pm

This is the exact reason why I dislike the Parks Carry Bill in its present state. (Park carry is good, but once the door is left open for localities to pass restrictions, they will.) I would like state preemption on all parks, but I suppose that might be asking too much.
ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby johnharris » Thu May 21, 2009 7:50 pm

John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby Tim Nunan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:31 am

Remember, most local elections for city council/county commission are decided by less then 250 votes. Find out how many HCP's are in your county and let the candidates know that the law abiding gun owner isn't going to forget at the voting booth.
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Postby meadsteve » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:38 pm

The Commercial Appeal had an article blasting the Legislature for getting nothing done accept give in to the NRA.
I tried to post the following comment - but it just wouldn't go through. The way to get the politicians attention is not appealing to do the right thing in most cases , but how it could impact their next election.

There has been progress for those who believe in actually complying with the State Constitution. The excessive prohibitions on Handgun Carry Permit holders are being reduced, and it is not because of the NRA... it is the voters and maybe even their oaths of office. There is good reason why local politicians should not be voting to ban permit holders carrying in local parks... and it is more than the mere fact that prohibiting safe law abiding permit holders does no good and would have no effect on crime (accept perhaps making parks more attractive to criminals). The federal government recently passed, and President Obama signed into law, the Coburn Amendment which allows state-licensed firearm permit holders to carry firearms in all National Parks and Wildlife Refuges and long as it is allowed under state law. And of course such a state law was signed into law by Governor Bredesen Friday. Carry in Local parks is not allowed until 01 September and local parks may be posted if all government bodies involved in the owning and operating the park independently pass ordinances to do so. It is important to recognize that this posting only applies to permit holders – no one else... and the penalties for criminal acts with weapons in parks remain exactly the same as they are now.

The most important reason for politicians to not vote for posting local parks is how many permit holders they now have in their districts and the potential political damage they are likely to cause if a politician violates their right to bear arms (in a situation with no compelling public interest because all credible studies show that prohibiting permit holders does not prevent crime or improve public safety). I was surprised to find that Knoxville has 11,420 permit holders … Memphis 17,917… Nashville 8957.. and Tennessee about 220,000 - and the TN Department of Safety expects to issue 100,000 new permits this year. Many office-holders won their last elections by less than 1000 votes … some by less than 50. Voting for banning permit holders is bad for their political health and does nothing to improve public safety. This is the primary reason why the U.S Congress and even President Obama passed legislation removing the prohibitions on state-licensed permit holders. THIS is why is why laws reducing restrictions on permit holders in Tennessee have been passed by large majorities in both houses the Legislature and even signed into law by the Governor. Local politicians should be paying attention to the political winds as they consider posting local parks.

Steve Mead
Oak Ridge, TN
meadsteve

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Here was my post to that same article.

"Could it be that the sour grapes espoused relative to firearms bills is a result of them having been shelved for years by previous Legislatures? Now that they have seen the light of day, and were given a chance to be acted upon, they received backing from the citizens of the State of TN. The previous Speaker of the House normally strong armed bills of this type into a quiet death, preventing debate and discussion. The fact that they survived through committee and made their way to the floor, gave an opportunity for the People to speak, in favor or against, for the first time in many years.

I can promise that the NRA has very little effect on the State level, their thrust is Federal, there is only one part time lobbyist for Tennessee, and I would suspect that the average Legislator has no idea what that persons name is.

Less than 2% of the debate time used regarding all legislation was spent on gun bills in the Senate, that figure can be checked, it is verifiable. Seems to speak to the fact that the support for those measures came quickly from a broad spectrum of the State, and was grass roots in nature. Your neighbors and acquaintances voiced their opinions to their Senators and Representatives. It was not a Democrat or Republican thing either, the close divisions by party numbers was not born out in the voting, the percentage in favor for passage of these bills was overwhelming, true bi-partisanship.

Should any of them prove problematic, it will be a simple thing to have them recused in future legislation, but like the majority of other states that have similar laws, I venture that there will be no detrimental affect, and believe that the results will prove to be quite the opposite."
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby morg » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:39 am

Councilman Garrett

Please allow me to show you what is between the lines:

RESOLUTION NO. RS2009-790

A resolution opposing legislation currently pending in the Tennessee General Assembly that would preempt local governments from prohibiting the carrying of firearms in local parks.
A resolution to retaliate against law abiding permit holders.

WHEREAS, Section 13.24.440 of the Metropolitan Code prohibits persons from possessing any firearms within Metropolitan Government parks; and

Section 13.24.440 primes regular, law-abiding citizens to be better crime victims.

WHEREAS, legislation is currently pending in the Tennessee General Assembly that would allow licensed gun owners to carry firearms in any local or state park; and

legislation is currently pending to allow someone besides a criminal to carry firearms. . .

WHEREAS, allowing firearms in local parks would greatly endanger the safety of park visitors, especially children who are looking for a safe place to play; and

We really don’t have a good reason so let’s throw it out as being for the children

WHEREAS, local legislative bodies should have the freedom and authority to prohibit firearms in parks for the safety of its citizens; and

We really don’t but that doesn’t stop us from saying that we do.

WHEREAS, it is fitting and proper that local governments retain control over enacting appropriate restrictions on the possession of firearms in parks.

We love to overstep our bounds to keep citizens dependent on government

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:

Section 1. That the Metropolitan County Council hereby goes on record as opposing legislation currently pending in the Tennessee General Assembly that would preempt local governments from prohibiting the carrying of firearms in local parks.

goes on record that we have our collective head stuffed up a collective liberal butt

Section 2. The Metropolitan Clerk is directed to send a copy of this Resolution to each member of the Davidson County Delegation to the Tennessee General Assembly.

Because Bredesen is pissed and wants Carl Dean to spank the bullies

Section 3. This Resolution shall take effect from and after its adoption, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.

Sponsored by: Jerry Maynard, Megan Barry

LEGISLATIVE HISTORY
Referred to: Parks Committee
Public Safety Committee
Introduced: May 19, 2009
Adopted:
Approved:

Fact: Metro laws and regulation do NOT stop firearms from coming into the parks.

Fact: I already do NOT take my family into a Metro Nashville Park because of the guns and crime.

Fact: I do NOT golf at any of Metro’s courses because of vehicle break-ins occurring.

Fact: I rarely stop when I pass through one of Nashville’s parks.

Fact: Metro law enforcement was nowhere to be found I discovered the body in Shelby Park 20 years ago.

Fact: Metro law enforcement was nowhere to be found when the young punks were robbing golfers in the park.

Fact: Metro law enforcement nowhere to be found when I drive through the park on the way home from work at dark.

Fact: I will be legally armed as I drive across town until I come to the entrance to the park. What shall I do with my firearm, hang it on a tree limb until I return?!?!

Fact: The arrogance of anti-gun people is pushing some of us to consider the wisdom of even continuing to follow the law. Maybe if I chose to not have a permit, I could carry anywhere I wanted to carry just like the criminals do today.

Oppose this foolishness, Tim it accomplishes nothing good.

Morg (Tim is my friend but this also goes to Rip Ryman with formal salutaions)
morg

Re: Parks Bill - Local action - BLOUNT COUNTY

Postby twodogs257 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:14 am

I have spoken with the two Blount Commissioners in my district and both have expressed that they have problems letting their citizens carry in our local parks. One Commissioner stated that she's having a difficult time with letting people carry where there could be children present. The other, get ready for this, stated that the 2nd Amendment is outdated and only applied to the Forefathers generation. Both commissioners also expressed their dislike of letting people carry their guns in establishments that serve alcohol. This has not been brought to Blount County Commissioners yet, but Maryville and Alcoa along with the Parks and Rec Director Joe Huff have stated that they will opt out of allowing people carry in local parks and encourage Blount County's Commission to follow suit. Blount County has 21 commissioners, so my two are only a small fraction of the possible vote. I would appreciate any suggestions or help with ways to persuade Blount County and cities within to OPT IN. Thanks!
twodogs257

Re: Parks Bill - Local action - Nashville

Postby morg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:16 pm

RESOLUTION NO. RS2009-790 passed on first reading but not without contention.

Aye 26

Garrett Jameson LaLonde Wilhoite
Tygard Cole Gilmore Toler
Steine Ryman Langster Coleman
Maynard Jernigan Evans Todd
Matthews Claiborne Holleman Mitchell
Harrison Page McGuire
Murray Moore Adkins

No 9

Craddock Burch Dominy
Forkum Baker Hodge
Gotto Crafton Duvall

Absent 3

Barry Hunt Stanely

I expected as much out of Ryman as he toes the party line and sucks up to the unions.

But Tim Garrett is going to have a hard time when he shows up at the gun club claiming to be pro-gun during the next election.

Morg
morg

Return to Legislation - Local