[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Attn John Harris, nipping gun control in the bud.

Attn John Harris, nipping gun control in the bud.

Forum section for the discussion of pending Tennessee legislation and proposed legislation.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

Attn John Harris, nipping gun control in the bud.

Postby Ed__357 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 pm

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/magnolia ... 963f4.html

The above link takes you to a story about 2 states, (Montana and Texas) that are passing laws to cut the legs out from under whatever Obama plans to do in the near futre regarding, gun control, bans, the 2nd amendment. I'm wondering why the state of Tennessee isn't doing anything similar. I have sent emails to Lamar Alexander, Bob Corker, Marsha Blackburn, Jeremy Durham and Jack Johnson. John Harris, where are you on this issue? AIs there anything you can do to help? We need to move fast on this.
It's best to let the world "Think" you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Ed__357

Re: Attn John Harris, nipping gun control in the bud.

Postby SomeGuy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:08 pm

You may have missed it, but TN actually has passed one Firearm Freedom Act, though it was weak. The issue in TN is not any of the named FEDERAL officials. Tennessee's issue is our weak/liberal GOP establishment.

There is another bill in the works: http://blogs.knoxnews.com/humphrey/2013 ... tn-en.html

Not as strongly worded as I would prefer (and arguably useless due to the wording), but a beginning. Where does your legislator stand?
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby Ed__357 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:35 pm

John, I have sent emails to all, Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker and Marsha Blackburn (my representation in Washington DC) and I've sent to both Jeremy Durham and Jack Johnson (My Local state representation), and I received replies from all of them assuring me that they stand with me and support our Gun rights, but all of their replies looked to me like generic form letters that they probably send to everyone. I have no idea if they are sincere or not, and I've not seen anything in the news about Tennessee passing any laws with any bite to them. The best stuff I've seen so far is coming out of Montana and Texas. Guess I'll have to relocate to one of those states.
I thought since you were a lawyer and helped to write a lot of Tennessee's current gun laws, that maybe there was something "YOU" could do to help, and maybe give a prodding to some of the Legislators that you personally know. I guess I was wrong.
It's best to let the world "Think" you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Ed__357

Postby SomeGuy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm

J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby David Lewis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:38 am

Ed--

I don't mean to pick on you, but...

Let's see...it's been roughly 24 hours since the beginning of this thread, & you're upset that John hasn't done anything?

What's wrong with this picture?

Well, first, it's only been about 24 hours...sometimes, it simply takes longer than that to hear back from a legislator...any legislator...
even for John.

Second, the Legislature isn't actually in session at the moment...they met, organized, then adjourned until the 28th, to allow
time to move into new offices, hire staff, & in general, get their act together. So, even if every TFA member has already contacted
their elected representatives, and every one of them has agreed to exactly what we want done (oh, by the way...just what was
that again?)...they're not in session...so nothing can happen for a couple more weeks!

Finally, I'm pretty sure no bills have been introduced yet. Even if some have been, it takes time for bills to move through the
legislature. Not counting committee time, a bill must be considered on 3 separate days for it to be enacted...then there's the
time for it to be engrossed & transmitted to the governor, who then has 10 days (not counting Sundays) to sign it, veto it, or
let it become law without his signature...and, assuming all of that is in our favor...many, though not all, bills do not become
law upon being signed, but later, on a specific date.

So, assuming that all the aquatic waterfowl were in proper alignment...just when do you think something could have happened?

While they're busy getting their houses in order (pun intended), why don't we do the same? and get busy contacting them--which,
I know you've already done. Great! Keep it up. See to it that they know you by name.

I understand the frustration of wanting to see positive changes made...now...but, really...it cannot happen overnight, or through
the work of just one man.

Keep up your work, & continue to work with TFA on these bills, as they come up. I believe we will be successful this session...but
it will take all of us to ensure that success.

David
David Lewis

Postby johnharris » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Ed,

It seems from reading your posts you are seriously mistaken about a lot of things including the assumption that someone else has to carry the water to protect your rights.

I started with TFA 18 years ago where there were 12 of us. I am one of the few still left. I served in the role of executive director for 18 years. I spend frequently several hours a day on TFA issues ranging from writing legislation (2 bills today), talking to legislators (3 just today), emailing with an untold number of legislators, staffers, etc.; and running TFA's back office. I printed today membership cards for December. I had to locate old artwork and review pricing proposals to reorder membership letters/cards. I have to do the accounting for the PAC and file those reports in less than 10 days. I have to file the annual report soon. I have to work with Lisa to get the 2012 accounting done and sent to the accountant. I located radio spots and forwarded them.

I also provide in my law office space for TFA's storage and files and I make my phones, copiers, fax and computer resources available for TFA's needs.

For 18 years I have done this type of work without compensation. I have legislators who are willing to help TFA asking me to write "briefing memos" and "bullet points" on how proposed legislation will change current law or correct problems.

At the same time, I have to raise enough funds each month to cover my rent, utilities, pay my staff and associates and hopefully take home enough to put family through college and now post-graduate studies.

Tell me Ed, what did you do for TFA today? How much time did you invest? How much money did you spend or income did you fore go?

As James said, TFA is grassroots. It survives and succeeds when members are active, zealous and most important do not ask "what did you do for me today" but instead say to others "this is what we have accomplished today together."

I have said since TFA was founded, I would rather have 100 zealous activists who similarly dedicate time and resources than an organization with 10,000 members who ask "what have you done for me today".
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Legislation - STATE