Tuesday is VERY important for SAFE COMMUTE

Forum section for the discussion of pending Tennessee legislation and proposed legislation.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

Tuesday is VERY important for SAFE COMMUTE

Postby Sky King » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:13 am

Ok, the best I can tell, Tuesday, the 10h, we wil FINALLY have the House version of the Safe Commute bills heard in sub-committee AND the full committee. Richard Archie pointed out that when he was there last week, there was over 100 people there walking in the halls with pins and buttons about natural gas cars. I repeat his question, which group do you think got the most attention? When there was only him and the NRA lobbiest there and over 100 for natural gas cars, it is a no brainer.

I know people have to work but every time I go to Nashville, I see groups in large numbers there supporting their cause. I often ask myself about why we can't get a similiar turnout. Do we REALLY want our bills to be given serious consideration? Emails and phone calls are important but when you walk around Legislative Plaza and everywhere you go you see people with pins and signs for various causes I often wonder what is it going to take to get a similiar turnout for our cause.

Folks, I can only ask just how badly do you want this legislation? With rare exception do I ever see or hear of anybody but Richard Archie, Kenny Crenshaw, John Harris and NRA representatives being present to lobby for these bills. The opposition is ALWAYS there, often in LARGE numbers. Which one do YOU think gets the attention?

Anything worth having doesn't come for free. It makes an impression when people like you and me actually sacrifice our time to go to Nashville to support our cause. When you can go to your representatives office in person and say, "it was worth MY time to come here" it tells them it is important to you. Lobbiest are paid to be there, it is their job, there is no sacrifice on their part but for you and me it is different but it is going to take more than Richard, Kenny and John.

Let's get a good number of people there Tuesday. Have something to put on, a sticker, button or something that says plainly "SAFE COMMUTE". Be seen outside Beth Harwell's, Ron Ramsey's offices and the committee hearing rooms. Stop in their offices and tell the recptionist that you are there to SUPPORT SAFE COMMUTE. Be IN the rooms for the hearings. If we get an opportunity AND if there is enough to make an impression, it would be good to ask those in support of this legislation to stand for the committee members to see. If there is only two or three or just a handfull, it acually looks bad. We need the room PACKED.

DO NOT think you don't need to get involved because "somebody else will do it". That somebody else needs to be YOU.

So much has been put into this legislation this year by just a few people. We have worked our butts off and I personally feel that with the effort that has been made, if we are not successful this year, I don't give it much hope in the future, big business will have won. For me, in my opinion, it is this year or bust. I borrow a line from the movie War Games, "I'd pi$$ on a spark plug if I thought it would help"

I am making a personal appeal to all of you. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will be there. Show the committee just how important it is for you by being there.
Sam Cooper
Memphis, Tennessee
Sky King

Re: Tuesday is VERY important for SAFE COMMUTE

Postby johnharris » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Sam makes a painful point. For years, I have walked those halls alone. I would get a lot of "at a boys" but it really did not change that I was taking time away from work and family to do it. Some, like Sam, find it a great burden to take off work and come to Nashville. Is it any less burden to take off day after day for several months because the hours still accumulate.

TFA is grassroots. It does not have a paid lobbyist. It counts its success on the extent to which the members and supporters of the organization will personally take the time to call, to meet with legislators face to face and to show up once or twice a year for a legislative event. It is a sacrifice. Are your rights worth it?
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:28 pm

I will be there Tuesday morning, we need to have people willing to stand up for our issues.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby Sky King » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:28 am

AGAIN, Tuesday is a VERY important day. I am planning to be there. I have sent these emails to Senator Mike Faulk and Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey.

Senator Faulk,

I have sent this email to Lt.Governor Ramsey. I support the Safe Commute bills as evidenced by my several trips to Nashville and testimony in the committees. It is now time for my voice to be heard again. This time through my elected senator on the Senate floor. However my voice will be squashed if the bill is not allowed to come tot he floor.

I am URGING you, as the Charmian of the Calendar committee to place this bill on the calendar for a full hearing and vote by the full body. Please let the people of Tennessee decide rather than just one person, lt. Gov. Ramsey.

All your hard work on this important legislation will be in vein if you allow this to happen.

Thank you
Sam Cooper
Memphis Tennessee.
--- On Mon, 4/16/12, Sam Cooper <n1bmxw3@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Subject: Usurping the will of the people
To: lt.gov.ron.ramsey@capitol.tn.gov
Date: Monday, April 16, 2012, 8:11 AM

Lt. Governor Ramsey,
You have taken it upon yourself to become a one person General Assembly. A body of representatives elected by the people to conduct the peoples business at their direction. By your direction, and yours alone, you are blocking legislation that has passed the entire committee process and is ready for the PEOPLE to speak via their elected representatives.

The Safe Commute bills are those bills and it is time for the PEOPLE of Tennessee to be heard through their representatives. It is no longer up to YOU. By your actions, you have denied me the right and ability to be heard on this matter. LET THE PROCESS WORK. Allow SAFE COMMUTE to have it's day on the floor and let's see what THE PEOPLE of TENNESSEE want.

Sam Cooper
Memphis Tennessee
Sam Cooper
Memphis, Tennessee
Sky King

Return to Legislation - STATE