[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Responses from legislators about Safe Commute Bills

Responses from legislators about Safe Commute Bills

Forum section for the discussion of pending Tennessee legislation and proposed legislation.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

Responses from legislators about Safe Commute Bills

Postby Sky King » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:19 am

Given that this is a hot topic, I think a separate thread listing the responses we get from the members of The General Assembly concerning their support or lack of support would be appropriate.

This is the letter I sent out to all the committee members, the governor and my representatives:

As you have heard by now, these two bills are a priority for many Tennesseeans. Over 6000 emails have been sent by us and I have only heard back from a couple of you. These bill are important and it is important to know who does and does not support these bills. SB3002/HB3560, the Employee Safe Commute Bill, is being watched as are the actions taken on those bills. This bill protects me and others by allowing law abiding citizens to travel to and from work while carrying our handguns. Please respond back with your decision as to whether or not you will sign on as a co-sponsor or support this bill. Thank you

Sincerely,

Sam Cooper

So, in that light, let me start off with two responses I received this morning.

First, from Jim Gotto:

"I am a co-sponsor.

Jim"

Next from Barrett Rich:

"I will always support the law abiding citizen's Second Amendment rights. If I may be of further assistance, please let me know.
Sincerely,
Representative Barrett Rich
Republican Majority Whip
Vice Chairman of Government Operations Committee"

I have emailed and spoke with MY representative, Antonio Parkinson. He said that he would speak to Eddie Bass about it and that he does not see a problem with the bills but he would not committ to supporting it or signing on as a co-sponsor.
Sam Cooper
Memphis, Tennessee
Sky King

Re: Responses from legislators about Safe Commute Bills

Postby Sky King » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Just got this from Jeremy Faison's office:

Dear Sam:

The problem with the Employee Safe Commute email campaign is two-fold: 1. because of the use of a form letter most of these emails automatically went to the junk folder; it is common policy with form letter campaigns not to respond unless they are from the Representative's district. Please don't take a lack of response personally, most of them assume that you sent the exact same letter to everyone else as well. 2. To be most effective you should contact your legislator for support or even just the committee or sub-committee this bill is currently before.

That said, of course Rep. Faison supports this bill. I believe half of the legislature has already signed on as secondary sponsors. He signed on to a very similar bill last year that was killed in committee. This bill should have the support it needs to make it out of committee to the House floor.

Best,

Tori Venable
Legislative Aide
Rep. Jeremy Faison
202 War Memorial
Nashville, TN 37243
615-741-6871

And from Beverly Merrero:

"Dear Mr. Cooper,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. In response to your recent email regarding Senate Bill 3002, I will be voting no on this particular piece of legislation.

Sincerely,

Senator Beverly Marrero"

And from Mae Beavers:

Senator Beavers supports this bill.

Patti Saliba
Office of Senator Mae Beavers
Chairman of Senate Judiciary Committee
7 Legislative Plaza
Nashville, Tennessee 37243
615/741-2421 or 1-800-449-8366 x 12421
Fax: 615/253-0205
Sam Cooper
Memphis, Tennessee
Sky King

Postby Tim Nunan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:55 pm

From State Senator Steve Southerland:

From: Steve Southerland <sen.steve.southerland@capitol.tn.gov>
To: "Mr. & Mrs. Tim Nunan" <bentcreek@lcs.net>
Subject: RE: Please Support - SB3002/HB3560 - Employee Safe Commute Bill

Tim, you can count on my support for SB 3002.

Steve
From Senator Stacy Campfield:

From: Stacey Campfield <sen.stacey.campfield@capitol.tn.gov>
To: "Mr. & Mrs. Tim Nunan" <bentcreek@lcs.net>
Subject: RE: Please Support - SB3002/HB3560 - Employee Safe Commute Bill

_____You don't have to worry about me. I have been pushing this legislation for years and for a long time was the only sponsor in the senate. I will vote to move this legislation forward with the fewest restraints on your constitutional rights as possible.

Yours in service,

Sen. Stacey Campfield
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Postby Butch Butler » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:14 pm

I have received responses from Sen.Mike Bell and Sen.Campfield supporting the bill .I also got a form response from Gov.Haslam he didnt say one way or the other.
Butch Butler
Butch Butler

Postby tnxdshooter » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 am

No response yet from Senator Yager, and Representative Cobb who are usually good about responding to emails. I will post their response when and if I receive one.
Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Postby SomeGuy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:59 pm

I assume you mean Jim Cobb (R)? Good on you to e-mail him, he is not pro-gun, but he responds to pressure and votes the right way.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby Sky King » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:02 pm

I JUST got this from Rep. Antonio Parkinson, (D) Memphis, MY representative:

"I am signed on the bill. Thanks. Rep. Parkinson"

YYYEEEEESSSSSSSS! 8) Sorry for the exhuberance. I have never had a representative in Nashville that actually signed onto a pro-Second Amendment bill.
Sam Cooper
Memphis, Tennessee
Sky King

Postby waynesan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:48 am

It's good to know how the reps as a whole say they intend to vote on this if and when they get the chance to vote. But the first step is to get it out of the Sub-Committee to which it has been assigned. And these are the reps that will be making that decision:

General Sub-Committe Consumer and Employee Affairs

Mark White, Chair
Jimmy Matlock, Vice-Chair

Members
Glen Casada
Jim Eldridge
G. A. Hardaway
Gary Moore
Joe Towns

The make-up of this Sub-Committe is 4 Republicans and 3 Democrats and I am not real familiar with the voting records of these folks in the past regarding 2nd Amendment issues. Anybody out there have opinions on who might be on our side of this group and will vote to get this passed from their committee? I suppose if you are a constituant of one of these you might be more likely to get a response to an email or phone call seeking information.
Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.
waynesan

Postby Fencer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:18 pm

I just called Rep. Gary Moore's office and spoke with Regina. Gary is supposed to call me back on Monday.
Regina said that Gary was very much in favor of the Safe Commute Bill. He believed that someone that went
through the process of getting their carry permit was far safer than someone who didn't and still carried.

Dennis Wood
Fencer

Postby ProguninTN » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:31 am

ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby Sky King » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:31 pm

I have noted that several members have posted that they have received responses indicating their representives have signed on as co-sponsors but I have yet to see that reflected on the General Assembly web site when I click on "co-sponsors). I don't know how often that is updated. In any case, the Senate version is scheduled to be heard on the 14th. I know that is Valentines day and some people may have other plans but I am seriously considering to go to Nashville for the hearing. My goal is two fold. I want to contact Senator Faulk and ask if I can be heard in the sub-committee but I also want to take the opportunity to visit the Shelby County members of the House Consumer & Employee Affairs Committee.

If anybody else is interested in being in Nashville that day, post it here. Maybe we can get together.
Sam Cooper
Memphis, Tennessee
Sky King

Postby 2ndtonone » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:21 pm

I recieved conformation by 13th distr. Sen. bill Ketron ( Staff ) member to let me know that he is on board with SB 3002 Bill ketron is a yes.
But as for my 49 th distr. House rep. Mike Sparks I have called repeatedly e-mailed, even called this morn. 2_13_2012 @ 8:45am and yet to hear from Mike Sparks or staff for that matter!
2ndtonone

Postby C. Richard Archie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:22 pm

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby xlr8 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:11 pm

I received a positive response from Sen. Mike Bell indicating that he would support SB3002. However, I have not received any response whatsoever from Rep. Kevin Brooks . . . perhaps it is because of his employer???
Matthew 28:18-20; Romans 8:28
NRA Life Member since the Clinton-Reno Administration
TFA Life Member
GOA Life Member
xlr8

Postby Fencer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:38 pm

Last week I talked to Regina again, and I asked her why Gary Moore hadn't called me.
She said I wasn't in his district, to which I said, I have to be, I voted for him. She checked again,
and said thru redistricting I no longer was in his district. She was very nice and said he would
call me anyway.
Gary Moore just called and we talked a long time. He is for permit holders being able to carry anywhere, but
he likes having background checks. He does not like non-permit holders being part of the bill. He said he has
told others that he will vote for the bill, and he will stand by that. I also asked him to co-sponsor the bill, but
he said he didn't think he would sign on, but would vote for the bill.

Dennis Wood
Fencer

Postby kop2121 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm

This is the reply that I got from Rep. Jimmy Eldridge from Jackson.

Kirby,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your concerns. I have signed on as prime co-sponsor of HB3560/SB3002 and am very supportive of this legislation. I will do everything I can to get this legislation passed out of full committee. It is scheduled to be heard tomorrow in the Consumer & Employee Affairs committee. I have always been very supportive of our 2nd amendment rights, especially regarding law-abiding, hard working citizens.  Again, thank you for contacting me about this matter. If I can ever be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a great day!

Jimmy Eldridge
kop2121

Postby hpbrantley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Dear Mr. Bratnley:

Thank you for your email concerning Senate Bills 2992 and 3002. I value your input. Sen. Mike Faulk is the sponsor of these bills. I fully support both of them.

Again, thank you for taking your time to contact me about this important issue. It is an honor to be your state senator.

Sincerely,
Sen. Jack Johnson
Tennessee General Assembly
District 23 -Williamson and Davidson Counties
Nashville, TN 37243
Office: 615-741-2495
Email: sen.jack.johnson@capitol.tn.gov
hpbrantley

Postby decotriumph » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:26 pm

RON RAMSEY: I share your frustration. As the prime sponsor of Tennessee's original handgun carry permit law, I have always been a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. This session, I have been working hard with members of both chambers to try and pass a bill which balances both gun owners' right to bear arms as well as business owners' right to control their own property.
I support making it legal for handgun carry permit holders to keep their guns in their car in most public parking lots. The problem we face is coming up with a definition of truly public parking lots that respects both property and gun rights. While we may not be successful this session, I hope you will continue to speak out in favor of our right to bear arms as I work towards a resolution to this issue.
Sincerely,
Ron Ramsey

Personally, I find it interesting that Lt. Gov. Ramsey says he supports the premise of the bill(s), he also says they are dead for this year. To quote Tonto, "He speak with forked tongue."

MARK PODY: Thanks so much for your email regarding HB3560. I am a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment and I am in full support of this bill. Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Mark Pody
State Representative

JEREMY FAISON: Thank you for contacting me with your support for HB3560. I have signed on as a co-sponsor and I support this bill and our 2nd Amendment rights 100%.
God bless,
Jeremy Faison
Gal 2:20
Alan
Tullahoma
decotriumph

Return to Legislation - STATE