[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - CURRY TODD ARRESTED FOR DUI AND POSESSION OF FIREARM

CURRY TODD ARRESTED FOR DUI AND POSESSION OF FIREARM

Forum section for the discussion of pending Tennessee legislation and proposed legislation.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

CURRY TODD ARRESTED FOR DUI AND POSESSION OF FIREARM

Postby tnxdshooter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 am

Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Re: CURRY TODD ARRESTED FOR DUI AND POSESSION OF FIREARM

Postby GuardianDevil001 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Eh. Not good but I do not see how it in any way validates the anti-carry position. The moron got stopped for driving at 60 mph in a 40 mph zone and not for anything that happened with his gun, which was not even on his person but in the car he was driving. Crucify him for endangering lives with a car but not with a firearm.
GuardianDevil001

Postby tnxdshooter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:36 am

Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
tnxdshooter

Postby PapaB » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 am

The reason he was stopped won't matter 1 iota to the anti-gun crowd. The fact that he might have been drunk and had a gun in the car is all that'll matter. Remember the rhetoric while trying to pass the guns in restaurants legislation? Dodge City lawlessness, nightly shootouts across the state, the OK Corral, dogs and cats living together, women and children being shot dead in the streets.
To add insult to injury, this isn't just an HCP holder, nor is it just a TN lawmaker with an HCP. This is the TN lawmaker with an HCP that pushed for what they call the "guns in bars law". They'll use this to beat us like a red-headed step-child and I don't know of anything we could say that would matter. Logic doesn't work with that group, they deny its existence. Whatever happens to Curry Todd because of this, our cause has been seriously diminished by his actions.
PapaB

Postby tnxdshooter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:07 pm

Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
tnxdshooter

Postby GKar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 pm

So McCormick has pulled the plug on "this week's" scheduled initial meeting of the Firearms Task Force, and may pull the plug altogether (along with a not-so-subtle shot indicating you can forget any 2A legislation in the next Gen Assmbly):

http://www.timesnews.net/article/903698 ... rrying-gun

Not unpredictable...nor surprising, considering the total inaction of this group up to now. Seems Todd's indiscetion may have just been a timely, convenient way to put a nail in the coffin anyway. Funny, but TMK no one knew there was a meeting scheduled for this week until there was a reason to cancel it...

As to Todd: seems I did see in a local report that he was charged with violation of implied consent as well.
GKar

Postby tnxdshooter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:31 am

Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
tnxdshooter

Postby Sky King » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:21 pm

I cannot begin to list all the thoughts and emotions I have felt as a result of this.

Regardless of how the case unfolds for Curry himself or the final disposition of the case and charges, the damage done to pro-gun initiatives is indescribable. As the point man for one of the more heated and publicized bills, (restaurant carry bill) for more than two years, there couldn't have been a worse person to do what he did.

The detractors are having a field day with this. Even though there is nothing to support any notion that he had the firearm with him in an establishement that serves alcohol AND that he gun was NOT on his person but in his vehicle, the media will not make any distinction on that AND the bottom line is he HAD been drinking, (according to his reported statement of having had two drinks) and was in possession of his firearm (in your vehicle, loaded, next to you is "in possession)". That is, at least the way I understand it, IS a violation of the permit law.

I have said all that to say this. After a lot of consideration and reading of the comments on both the TFA Forum and The Tennessee Gun Owners forum, I have concluded that we can only have one response to this. We CAN NOT defend Curry Todd. We MUST defend the law that he worked for and pushed that he himself is in violation of. The general public has to know that we stand behind the arguments we made during the push for the law that we DO believe that alcohol and guns DO NOT mix and that those who violate that law are subject to the punishments outlined in that law and that INCLUDES Curry Todd.

I will always be gratefull for the hard work, time and effort that Curry put in getting that law passed but there is a piece of me that just wants to punch him right in the face. If that had been me, I would be subject to those laws but the media wouldn't give me a second look. Curry had to realize that his position and his very vocal and visable support of that bill placed him in the unfair but real position of having to maintain a higher standard of conduct.

If we are to have ANY chance of getting any pro-gun bills passed after this, we HAVE to take a positon that nobody is above the law, even those who write those laws.

Just my thoughts. I feel like he just put a shotgun blast right through the bottom of any parking lot bill boat for this year. Just when I had hopes that the light at the end of the tunnel was NOT the headlight of the on-comming freight train.
Sam Cooper
Memphis, Tennessee
Sky King

Postby Kimber45 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:23 pm

If I'm not mistaken this all happened the same day his divorce became final in Memphis. Another thing that may have been left out is even if the permit program did not exist he could have had his firearm. He is retired Law enforcement and they can carry per Fed Law. Court documents also do NOT include anything about getting his alcohol at a restaurant.
Kimber45

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:04 am

Personal thoughts on this situation:

I care not what his situation was regarding his personal life, divorce timing etc., if he violated the law with regard to consumption of alcohol, driving and possession of a weapon. Should those allegations be proven, then he needs to bear the results just as anyone else would.

We as gun owners and HCP holders will suffer from his actions, that is a given, but, IF he is held accountable, it simply proves the Laws as written, are there to protect us all from those who drink, drive and fail to honor the regulations related to gun possession, and are working as intended.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby tnxdshooter » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:52 am

Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
tnxdshooter

Postby Fred762 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Nobody has mentioned the 'elephant in the room'...maybe this was not just a dumb stunt!!??
Maybe he was told to do it by someone who he owes big time...FWIW.

It is not unheard of for politicians to have BIG 'debts' to pay and maybe..just maybe someone called a marker on him. just sayin..................
Fred762

Postby SomeGuy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:16 pm

One thing I am seeing not mentioned, is who controls the topic of issue. If we let the anti's make this a gun issue, we lose. If we let them use this to smear Todd, we lose.

Focus on what caused the initial traffic stop: He was speeding. If you want to be a bit humorous, point out he is a retired cop, and he probably was used to driving that fast. Make them be cop-bashers, while we defend him. If they try to bring up guns/alcohol, make the obvious point, was he pulled over for either initially? No? Then it is secondary, and anti-gun hype.

However, I won't throw Todd under the bus. The man has helped us in the past, and while I wish he hadn't been speeding, I see it is countering us in the long run if we don't support those who supported us. We don't need a reputation of abandoning our friends.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Return to Legislation - STATE