Who would TFA like to see as Speaker?

Forum section for the discussion of pending Tennessee legislation and proposed legislation.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

Re: Who would TFA like to see as Speaker?

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Upon further reflection:

Ms. Harwell has said many times over in the last few weeks, that her response to the Restaurant Carry vote was because of her constituents view of the matter. I could almost understand that position if the majority of the residents of her district, however wrongly viewing the legality, contacted her to voice their opinion regarding her support or denial thereof, and she made her decision under a feeling of obligation to speak their wishes though her vote. A laudable situation, allowing the voters to have a say in the outcome of Legislation, (unlike the instructions received from many Legislators and Party officials relative to this latest election, which will have major impacts on all of our lives, ironically). I would hope that a true and honest appraisal of the Constitutionality of the situation would be foremost in the mind of any Representative, more especially one that wields the power of Speaker of the House. No group has the authority to demand an UN-Constitutional act on the part of any Government. To the core of that particular Bill, Governor to be Haslam has said he would have signed it into law. I hope Ms. Harwell can move closer to his stance relative to this particular subject of concern.

Troubling to me still is her stance on the Parks Carry Bill. I never received a reasonable Constitutional reason for that stance, and I have sought for one to be offered. Again, her specific district's thoughts on that subject was espoused as the reason for her vote as recorded. The attempt to insinuate that she was in support of the Legislation, for State Parks, and IF an "Opt In" scenario was put forth for local municipalities as a reason to obfuscate her "No" ballot on the final Bill continues to give me pause. Citizens who are judged worthy to keep and bear arms by the statutes and laws of our land shall not have that Right infringed according to the 2nd Amendment. Additionally, Article 1 section 26 of the Declaration of Rights of the Tennessee Constitution requires that all laws which restrict the wearing of arms by the Citizens of this State who are allowed to keep them, must be grounded in a reduction of crime. Law abiding Citizens providing for their own defense as provided for in our Constitution does not fall into that category.

Now however, due to her seeking a Leadership role for the House, she can no longer focus only on her 56th District's specific geographic area in consideration of legislation. This post was not thrust on her, she sought it out, so a wider look at the desires of various sensibilities will be necessary by virtue of her endeavor to be Representative to the entire State, and having control over issues that effect it.

In addition, and no small item of import, we have a staunch watchmen at the helm of the Senate. I offer that Lt. Gov. Ramsey will protect our interest in the Senate and make sure that there will be no regressive/oppressive gun legislative allowed to reach the Governor's desk.

Finally, we have the personal assurance of our new Governor that he is supportive of our Rights regarding the 2nd and 10th Amendments, as well as Article 1 Section 26 of the Tennessee Constitution. Video is a wonderful medium for retrospective perusal of promises made.

As the Republican caucus has seen fit to name Ms. Harwell as our Speaker, I am willing to support her in this position. Per her personal assurance to me that she believes our firearms rights worthy of protection for the good of the Nation, I look forward to her service to our State as Speaker, and her support of the Founding Principals that form the basis of our Liberty.

Welcome, Madame Speaker. To coin a phrase from our Sister State of Texas, the Eyes of Tennessee are upon you!
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby SomeGuy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:42 am

We have the votes, I really don't care if she votes against our bills. As you noted however, it is the committees we need to watch. If we return to the days of Naifeh, where we cannot move through committee, then we know we need to boot a few people out in the primaries.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby SomeGuy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:42 am

We have the votes, I really don't care if she votes against our bills. As you noted however, it is the committees we need to watch. If we return to the days of Naifeh, where we cannot move through committee, then we know we need to boot a few people out in the primaries.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Previous

Return to Legislation - STATE