[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Haslam Add

Haslam Add

Forum section for the discussion of pending Tennessee legislation and proposed legislation.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

Haslam Add

Postby johnharris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:42 pm

I received a postcard from the Haslam campaign which seems to be the same as this one

http://politics.nashvillepost.com/wp-co ... amguns.jpg

I would really like to see some of the "facts" clarified by the Haslam campaign, such as

1) He was with Bloomberg's mayors against guns campaign and stayed there voluntarily until he decided to run for governor in a "gun friendly, gun loving" state. So, does that mean that he is a "staunch" supporter only when its important in a race for the governor's office?

2) Why did he wait until his decision to run for governor to join the NRA as a life member? Why not join as an Patron, Endowment or Benefactor member?

3) Why did he allow Knoxville to maintain the local ordinance banning guns in parks prior to the passage of the parks bill in 2009? A staunch 2nd Amendment supporter may have pushed for a repeal of the local ordinance to support the right of self defense for lawful permit holders.

4) Why did he allow Knoxville to retain the local ordinance to ban guns in parks even though Knoxville did not "opt out"? True, he did was opt for a lower penalty, but the prohibition is still there. Its against the law to carry guns in parks in Knoxville.

5) Does he have a carry permit?

6) TN has a law which allows local governments to make local government funded ranges (e.g., sheriff's and police gun ranges) open to the public when not in use by the government. Does Knoxville do that?

7) Are Knoxville public buildings (other than statutorily closed courthouses) open to the permit holders?

8) If the right to keep and bear arms under the 2nd Amendment is essential to freedom - as quoted from the ad, what does he think needs to be done with the remaining Tennessee statutory and local government restrictions on that right?

Haslam or his supporters may be trying to create a history of supporting the 2nd Amendment. When facts are created, that is not history - its fiction.

On the other side, I have a long history of watching and talking with Ron Ramsey as a state official. He has repeatedly and consistently over a period of the 15 years that I have been involved worked to improve things for gun owners and permit holders in Tennessee. That is a history that can be verified in the books and records of the General Assembly. It is easy to prove.

Then there is Zach Wamp. Wamp has been in a position with Congress where he could easily been outspoken and vocal on the abuses of ATF and the need to repeal most if not all federal firearms laws as excesses beyond the limits of the Constitution and the 10th Amendment. Wamp could have pushed for a repeal of the 1986 ban. I know the list of bad votes or missed opportunities is quite long on Wamp's tenure in Congress and perhaps someone else might elucidate the federal record.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Re: Haslam Add

Postby johnharris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:08 pm

John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby jarhead » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Haslam is certainly "talking the talk" right now but I too am more interested in his record and if he did indeed sign the Bloomberg manifesto. Concerning Wamp, there are several bills there which he voted for that, in my opinion should never have been passed or even brought up for vote. The so-called patriot act is just a way to run rough shod over the fourth amendment. How anyone who calls themself a conservative could vote for that needs to read the Bill of Rights. But I guess I'm in the minority on this one because the Supreme Court has no problem with it...but I digress.
Right now I'm leaning heavily toward Ramsey.
The LORD [is] on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? -- Psalm 118:6
jarhead

Postby macville » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:46 pm

While I am voting for Ramsey (there's no doubt in my mind), I am going to have a chance over this weekend to be in very close quarters with Wamp and I am going to try and ask him some about his position on firearm laws for law abiding citizens. I have the feeling that he will rubber stamp any pro-carry law that comes across his desk as gov, but am going to try and help him "understand" the position held by us true conservatives.
macville

Postby johnharris » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:03 am

I generally feel that all three Republican candidates if elected governor would sign or allow must gun laws to become law, but then even Bredesen did that. Of the three, if we have some fight like a restaurant law, a parking lot law, or an version of "Vermont" carry, it seems clear that Ron Ramsey is most likely to support the 2nd Amendment in these areas.

The real question is not "who will veto" but who is more likely to use the power and resources of the Governor's office to help influence public opinion in favor of 2nd Amendment rights. In that context, there is only one.

Oh, I don't mean to completely ignore Mr. McWherter, I just have no information on which to make an observation or comment.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:44 am

From Mr. McWhereter's appearance at the West TN Regional Chapter meeting:

1. He favors "Gun Registration", his acertation that his new "Judge" was "registered" at the time of purchase shows his knowledge of the actual laws involved, but more I suspect, his intentions realtive to the issue. He did ask me how LE could track gun crime without it?

2. When asked about his support or lact thereof regarding the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act, he quickly replied that the BATFE had already declared it "Unconstitutional".

3. Asked his thoughts regarding "Guns in Parks" he replied that he would not support the ability of the HCP holder to be able to carry in municipal Parks, intoning how heated the arguments at Little League games would result in blood baths State wide.

4. As the "Restuarant Bill" was under consideration at the time of our meeting, he made the statement that as alcohol and gunpoweder do not mix, he was not in favor of allowing law abiding citizens their Constitutionally guaranteed Right to provide for their own safety, and should such a Bill be laid upon his desk, he would veto it.

5. He was sure that the NRA was going to endores his candidacy.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby RobertNashville » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:46 am

Robert
-My Basset Hound is smarter than your honor student and 52% of the voting public -
RobertNashville

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:59 am

He got caught at a Sporting Clays event we hosted for the Hunters for the Hungry, and as he attmepted to stump amongst the "gun crowd", I publically nailed him with an invitation to come and speak. He could not turn that down in front of every rich gun owner in Madison County.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby SomeGuy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Nice Rich. I think McWherter may be a touch delusional. My largest concern wrt the elections, is Democrats crossing over and voting, there is nothing to keep them in their primary. I expect this to boost Haslam greatly.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby tnxdshooter » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:57 pm

It is the same as with any other election. Whoever, has/raises the most money, wins. Haslam has the most money.
Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Return to Legislation - STATE