Anything happening RE: Revising the AP statute?

Forum section for the discussion of pending Tennessee legislation and proposed legislation.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

Anything happening RE: Revising the AP statute?

Postby Emmett James » Fri May 14, 2010 11:51 am

Since TCA prohibites any non-lead core rifle ammo, is anything being done to modify the law to allow the Barnes type copper solids, etc.?
Emmett James

Re: Anything happening RE: Revising the AP statute?

Postby C. Richard Archie » Fri May 14, 2010 10:01 pm

That is one that has taken me by suprise.

I would think that it is meant to preclude steel core bullets, but never considered the copper solids as being illegal. :oops:

Some States have areas where ONLY copper solids are legal.

This requires attention.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby 1gewehr » Sat May 15, 2010 11:56 am

I don't see what the problem is with AP ammo. To me the whole law is just silly vote-pandering by liberal politicians. Steel-core ammo is not necessarily 'armor piercing'. In fact, most is not. Most countries use mild steel cores as their normal issue rifle ammo. It's cheaper, just as easy to mass-produce, and with a copper jacket does not cause accelerated barrel wear.
May places are now starting to promote lead-free ammo as environmentally safer. Steel is much safer for the environment than lead. Promote steel-cored ammo! It's to protect our CHILDREN!! :lol:
Nemo me impune lacessit
1gewehr

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sat May 15, 2010 12:41 pm

I asked a TWRA official about this today, what I got in answer was:

"It is not in the section of the Code that we enforce.

From the currently published Hunters Guide, page 12, Illegal Equipment:
13. Rifles or handguns loaded with military
or other full metal jacketed type of ammunition
are prohibited.

The TWRA restriction on fmj ammo is directed at "ball" ammunition that is not designed to expand. The Barnes ammunition with the built in hollow points and other expansion designs is legal for hunting.

You'll need to talk with some agency that enforces the "cop killer" bullet regs to get a ruling from them on the Barnes. "
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Return to Legislation - STATE