[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - .45 Colt

.45 Colt

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

.45 Colt

Postby Tim Nunan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Thinking of getting a Henry .45 Long Colt rifle and wanted to know if the .45 Long Colt pistol cartridge can be used in the rifle and if so when reloading what is the recommended load?
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Re: .45 Colt

Postby C. Richard Archie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:15 pm

That was the idea behind the duo, one cartridge for both pistol and rifle. Some load the case different for the rifle match, but some just shoot the same loads.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby 1gewehr » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:06 am

Commercial loads are almost all made for pistols. Handloading can take advantage of the rifle's stronger action and longer barrel to get much more performance. The .45 Colt is capable of matching .44Mag performance. This accounts for some of it's new popularity and the modern, stronger firearms chambered for it.
Nemo me impune lacessit
1gewehr

Postby tnxdshooter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:08 pm

The 45 colt for pistol should work just fine. Hornady makes a new 45 colt for lever action rifles that is supposed be really bad arse.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=449013

Apparently the reviewer broke his judge on it.

My dad uses this in his Public Defender for target practice. It seems to be pretty good ammo.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=954234
Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Postby Butch Butler » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Tim,
Are you reloading for plincking or Cowboy Action? If you want lead bullets for cowboy action I can give you the info for the guy that I buy my bullets from.
Butch
Butch Butler

Postby tnxdshooter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:25 pm

I might like to know butch. Are they reloads? Seems as though 45 colt is getting really hard to find. It seems to be getting like the ever elusive .380.
Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
tnxdshooter

Postby Tim Nunan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Butch, for plinking and when I get the Henry hunting. I reload .45 for bullseye, 185 grain; any reason that bullet couldn't be used?
Tim
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

Tim Nunan

Postby Butch Butler » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:00 pm

I will send you both a pm I dont want to put his number on the screen.
Butch
Butch Butler

Postby ArmedResponse » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Butch, I have dies and all. Come over and we'll work you up a good load. I load for my Bisley Ruger 325gr. LBT Hard Cast at 1150 FPS. That's not safe in anything but a Ruger though.
Armed Response Training Academy
Troy, TN
NRA Life Member
ArmedResponse

Postby ArmedResponse » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Butch I'm sorry I didn't make it to the meeting Monday night. Completely slipped my mind. Tim, for hunting, heavy bullets are the way to go. 325gr. @ 850-900 fps will completely penetrate anything from a Mulie down to a chipmunk @ 150yds. and should be safe to shoot in any well made, modern, .45 Colt rifle or revolver. Check out what Linebaugh says about the .45 Colt. http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/d ... e_myth.htm
Armed Response Training Academy
Troy, TN
NRA Life Member
ArmedResponse

Postby tnxdshooter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Anybody know where the best place is to get "Over the counter" 45 colt? Nearly everyone I have called is always out.
Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
tnxdshooter

Postby Tim Nunan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:50 am

Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

Tim Nunan