[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - What about the X dies?

What about the X dies?

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

What about the X dies?

Postby Hardtarget » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:48 pm

Its time for me to start reloading for my M1 Garand. I've seen a little info about the X dies from RCBS. Has anyone used these dies? Did you like the results? Are they...is it really necessary, to use a separate die for the M1. The Midway catalog says to not use the X dies for bolt action rifles...So I would need a regular set for my 1903 Springfield. It won't kill me to have both sets, its just one more thing to keep up with.

So, if you have experience with these, or know a reloader with experience, I'd appreciate some feed back. I'll buy what I need, I just want to know if I really do need them!

My thanks, in advance, for your help.

Mark
Hardtarget

Re: What about the X dies?

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:49 pm

I have no experience with them, but give me few days. I am reaching out, will report my findings.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby C. Richard Archie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:57 pm

From a site I trust cmpletley, these guys are some of the most knowledgeable reloaders I have been associated with, EOTAC Forum. Info and oppinion.

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:39 pm

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby Hardtarget » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks for the reply's and info. I've read info on several other boards and think I'll try a standard set of dies...just to see how my reloads run in the Garand. If things don't go right, then I'll get the X-dies. Continuing the learning process...its half the fun!

Mark
Hardtarget

Postby Hardtarget » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:52 pm

Ok..OK...I realize I'm not in the fast lane about this reloading stuff. Too much stuff on my plate. BUT! It has happened! I did get a set of standard dies for the .30-06 and the correct supplies. I've loaded a small batch for my M1 and was very pleased with the results. The rounds feed, fired, ejected! The bullets hit the target and poked little holes in the target!

My load was FC brass, CCI #34 primers, 150gr fmjbt, 47gr IMR 4895. What I noticed was the HXP Greek ammo ejected into a different area than my reloads. Using the clock...12 o'clock is the target and 3 o'clock is my right...the HXP ejected 12 to 3 o'clock while my reloads went into the 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock area (and further from the gun). Are my reloads too hot? Should I reduce a grain or two to check function? Is it not enough to worry about? I have the brass. It does not show the primer as flat as the HXP. The recoil impulse was about the same. I don't have a chrono...I don't know the fps.

I'll check back soon. I'm not getting to the range this week, so I can make a change in powder charge and see what the guns reaction is. I'll get back.

Mark

ps: I noticed that in my HXP ammo was a different head stamp. Its "SL" 42. Ever seen this brass before? Just different.
Hardtarget

Return to Ammunition and Reloading