New Method for Brass Cleaning.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

New Method for Brass Cleaning.

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 pm

Stumbled upon a new method for brass cleaning.

It has been postulated that the primer residue that is not removed by normal cleaning with dry media in vibratory cleaners is detrimental to bore life, especially the throat area. A retired Army armorer turned me on to cleaning with stainless steel cut wire media (.250" longX.041" diameter wire, diagonal cut so there is a sharp point on both ends) in an aqueous solution, using liquid dish washing soap as a surfactant to lift off the hard carbon.

This method requires a tumbler, commercially available from Thumlers. Spent, deprimed cases are placed in the tumbler receptacle, best results seem to be achieved by filling to 1/2 the volume with cases, adding 5 pounds of the media, and filling to within and inch of the top of the receptacle with hot water. Sealing the lid, and letting the resultant mix run in the tumbler for 6-8 hours will result in brass that looks brand new, the primer pockets will be spotless, as well as the inside of the case. the entire contents are poured into a plastic tub, where the cases are shaken to remove the wire from the inside of the cases. Then they are placed into a wire basket where they are air dried.

Pictures of the results of this type of case cleaning, 7 mm Rem Mag fired 8 times, .225 Win AI twice fired, .243 Win fired 5 times.

As normal with me, I was not satisfied with the commercial version, too limited in capacity for the .223 volume that I do, so I decided to build my own version. I have a contact with a shop that took a motor that I had in possession, and they reverse engineered a ball mill from a picture we found on E-bay. I built a tumbler housing from PVC and fittings, and had the shop make plate ends to close it up. The local rubber supply house fitted gaskets for me to make it waterproof. The standard Thumlers will hold 250 .223 cases at the time, the new one will hold 750 cases, and fifteen pounds of media.

Currently working on an interior housing that is perforated to allow separation of the cases and media under power. As for the present, I have to hand separate the cases from the short cut wire, time being the precious commodity that it is, I need a more efficient way to perform that task.

If you do not slip and let the media go down the drain, it will last forever. It will however, dull the blades in your garbage disposal quickly should it manage to gain access to that appliance, do not ask how I know this, just take my word for it!
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Re: New Method for Brass Cleaning.

Postby Hardtarget » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:54 pm

Sounds like a great way to achieve the ultimate clean cases! They looked perfect in your photo. I've spent a good bit of time trying to clean primer residue by hand...and found it to be futile.

Now I'll start looking at the parts and pieces to set this up in my loading area. ( wife is now rolling her eyes! ) :roll:

Thanks for the info on this.

Mark
Hardtarget

Postby David Lewis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Great photos, Richard. Do you have any of the medium?

Will it only work with a Thumler's Tumbler-type rotating drum, or will it work with a vibratory polisher?

Where does one obtain the cut wire medium?

David
David Lewis

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:36 pm

Does not work in a vibratory cleaner. (Been there, tried it, no go.) The water and soap, along with the sharp pointed media get the brass clean, the soap acts as a surfactant to hold the carbon and dirt in suspension, it is a system. A little extra work, but worth it for me in todays environment.

I have the contact info for the gentleman that has the media. Ex military, very helpful and the nicest guy you will ever meet.

PM me for the address and payment info.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Return to Ammunition and Reloading