cleaning media

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

cleaning media

Postby Butch Butler » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:51 pm

I reload lots of 38/357 and 9mm.Are there any tricks someone might know to help with keeping the media from getting stuck in the primer pocket.If I was loading just for accuracy or rifle loads I would clean each round but this is almost impossible with a progressive loader.99% of the time the media gets knocked out along with the primer but I am finding more cases with small bits still left behind.
Butch
Butch Butler

Re: cleaning media

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:55 pm

When I was running corn cob or walnut media, I always ran every case through a generic de-prime die after the cleaning session. Only way I know to effectively get the stuck little bits out.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby KPH » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:47 am

When I was using walnut and corn cob used a paper clip opened up to clean out the pockets. I don't know of a way to keep it from stiking in them when using those two.
KPH

Postby Fred762 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:57 pm

My old fashioned way is thus (I'm retired , so I have lots of free time). This will be for .38spl cases:
1. tumble a batch of ~200 sorted, fired cases in corncob media w a bit of brass polish added..usually 3-4 hrs
2. Resize and deprime the batch of cases..say 200
3. GENTLY ream out each primer pocket to get that last bit of primer gunk out. I use a tiny brass brush or a tiny screw driver as a 'reamer'.
4. soak the clean/deprimed/resized batch in water w some "Dawn" added for 48 hrs
5. rinse cases well
6. soak the batch in white vinegar or Coca-Cola for 4-5 hrs..then pour off the liquid and save it for next batch..I usually use Coke only twice, vinegar 3-4X
7. rinse cases well and dry thoroughly..2-3 days on flat towel

My batch of cases is sized, very clean and ready to prime. They usually look like new brass by now. I use an old reliable Dillon 550 and re-prime the whole batch at station 1, onecase at a time(placing each primer by hand)..yes it takes a bit of time, but I do not like to worry about a "tube" of primers going off.
I test feel each primed case to ensure the primer is not seated "high"..

I get the batch ready & load them using stations 2,3 & 4 on the Dillon and have beautiful clean ammo.
Fred762

Return to Ammunition and Reloading