[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - BATF Notice Bans Private Gun Sales In Texas

BATF Notice Bans Private Gun Sales In Texas

Reports on state and federal legislators in addition to other public officials who have shown a willingness to ignore the Rights guaranteed under the State and Federal Constitutions

Moderators: SomeGuy, tjbert47

Re: BATF Notice Bans Private Gun Sales In Texas

Postby C. Richard Archie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:30 pm

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby C. Richard Archie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 pm

Eureka, I have a solution. Talk the powers that be into furnishing a "free to all, no questions asked" kiosk at all guns shows, available to any and all who want to run a background check for a personal transfer. Fund it with stimulus money, create a few jobs and let's see how many avail themselves of the service.

Problem solved.

While they are at it, (if they were not snowed under by request for background checks) they could issue to any who wish, gratis, a card which states that as of said date, the bearer was vetted for gun ownership. Proactivity from the Government, how is that for progressive thinking.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby David Lewis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:08 am

David Lewis

Postby RobertNashville » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:50 am

Robert
-My Basset Hound is smarter than your honor student and 52% of the voting public -
RobertNashville

Postby Tim Nunan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:56 pm

Robert, this has been entertaining. Thank you for playing.
Tim Nunan

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:44 pm

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby RobertNashville » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Last edited by RobertNashville on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Robert
-My Basset Hound is smarter than your honor student and 52% of the voting public -
RobertNashville

Postby RobertNashville » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Robert
RobertNashville

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:44 pm

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby RobertNashville » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:51 pm

My misunderstanding, then (perhaps I do have a feeble brain)...thanks for explaining.
Robert
RobertNashville

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 pm

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby ProguninTN » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:24 pm

ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby RobertNashville » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:48 pm

If you recall, I said I was first eligible to vote in 1972..that should be an indicator of my age which is 55.

As to the "rights" question; I simply disagree.

We aren't talking about preventing the private transfer of a firearm nor are we talking about preventing an eligible person from buying a firearm - a private person has a right to buy a firearm so long as the person buying is not precluded from owning a firearm for the proscribed reasons; likewise, any person has a right to sell a firearm to an eligible person.

A background check is nothing more than a tool to ensure that the person wanting to buy the firearm is an eligible person; such a check doesn't take away anyone's rights nor does it prevent anything except preventing an ineligible persons from buying a firearm.

Finally, we can scream about rights and government interference all day long but all that does is ignore the elephant - gun shows are commercial enterprises that bring a lot of gun owners and those who want to buy them together in one place and there is nothing wrong with that but they are fundamentally different in nature than, for example, two friends deciding to transfer a firearm between them. Because of their commercial nature, I submit once again that unless those who promote gun shows want to have regulations forced on them that they need to take action and regulate themselves - that, as I see it, is the reality of the situation and in spite of all the discussion I've yet to read anything that would lead me to believe my perception of that reality is in error.
Robert
RobertNashville

Postby David Lewis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:09 pm

I have two observations:

First, among other things, I collect quotes; one of them is appropriate to this thread:

“A politician was speaking about ‘getting guns out of the hands of criminals on the streets’, to which someone raised the question, ‘Why is the criminal on the street?’”-- Anonymous

Second, there's nothing but the bones left of this horse.

David
David Lewis

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:31 pm

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby RobertNashville » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:36 am

I claim no expertise in such matters but I would suggest that there are likely many ways a gun show promoter could approach this; some would be either/or while some could be done in combination. Some that come to mind are…

* Don’t allow any actual participants (those who rent space) selling firearms unless they are FFL dealers (in other words, no “private collection” type sellers who have tables actually in/at the gun show).

* Have a stated policy against allowing any P2P transactions within the confines of the building/location where the gun show is taking place including no “cardboard signs” advertizing what you (a private person) has to sell/wants to buy).

* Perhaps establish a “station” run by an FFL dealer where private parties can voluntarily run a background check on a potential buyer; perhaps for free or for whatever the actual cost to the dealer happens to be – in other words, make it as easily and painless as possible for private individual sellers to run a background on a buyer (frankly, if I’m selling to a private person and he/she would balk at having a background check run I’d be VERY concerned).

* Perhaps do require photo ID (likely a DL) at the door before anyone is allowed to enter – it won’t necessarily stop all illegal aliens but if they know they will be asked for ID you might keep many of them away for that reason alone.

* Perhaps something could be done that give some special consideration to HCP holders (having a HCP is not a guarantee of a clean background but it does add a measure of assurance that you are dealing with someone eligible to own a firearm).

Such policies may or may not/could or could not be extended to the parking lot – it would depend a great deal on the specific facility and how the location was arranged.

Whatever policy or policies a gun show promoter uses you “enforce” them the same way we enforce All laws/rules in this country…you have a group of men/women appointed to look for and identify infractions and punish those who do commit an infraction (in this case, probably ejecting them from the show and/or perhaps banning them from future shows for some period of time [which is easier to if you are requiring ID at the door]). Obviously, this takes people…security people (maybe off-duty law enforcement, licensed security guards, etc.).

And yes, I know this can’t and won’t stop ALL banned activity which is true of any and every law/rule we live under…you enforce what you can where you can when you can. The simple fact you can’t stop all undesirable actions (whatever they happen to be) has never and will never be a reason to not stop and/or not try to stop what you can stop. Were such an argument valid then there would be no justification to have any law about anything since nothing can be enforced 100% of the time 100% effectively.

My bottom line is, if a promoter actively takes real steps to limit the potential transfer of firearms to those who aren’t eligible to own them this takes away a lot of ammunition from those who would prefer to ban gun shows completely which I would assume most of us don’t want to happen.
Robert
RobertNashville

Previous

Return to Second Amendment Offenders