Safe Commute Question

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Safe Commute Question

Postby hpbrantley » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:12 pm

I was reading an article in the Bellevue News "Local universities not allowing "guns-in-trunks"". So my question is this. In reading the article it isn't entirely clear who it is directed towards. Students? Faculty? Staff? So if I were an employee at, say Belmont, can they prevent me from following the requirements of the Safe Commute Law?
hpbrantley

Re: Safe Commute Question

Postby johnharris » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:53 pm

The Ron Ramsey "trick me once" "guns in trunks" bill provides no real protection. Although it does limit or preclude criminal prosecution in some but not all situations, it provides no protections in other areas. Therefore, if an employer has a "no guns" policy, an employer can clearly be fired even if they otherwise comply with Ramsey's flawed law. Similarly, if an school has a no guns policy, faculty, staff, students - even parents - are at risk of the non-criminal consequences that can be imposed such a loss of employment or being expelled.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Ask TFA