[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Possible Doctor's bias against OC to refuse treatment?

Possible Doctor's bias against OC to refuse treatment?

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Possible Doctor's bias against OC to refuse treatment?

Postby Markus » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:48 pm

I made a complaint elsewhere about this, so I will paste it here as it is the topic I'm discussing.

I have an regular doctor I see for Asthma in Murfreesboro..a Dr. Garner. I've never ever actually seen Dr. Garner, however. Just his Nurse Practitioners or partner doctor(might be an intern) Dr. Julie Ludwig. It is Dr. Julie Ludwig I'm discussing below.
This isn't about politics. This is about medical care denied for reasons currently vague and basically unknown why.

Julie Ludwig of Garner's office is/has attempting/attempted to transfer me after I Open Carried my pistol to their office. I asked without OC'ing(left it "secured" in truck) the first time I entered my next appointment after acquiring my OC license last year if they minded me OC and not leaving it in my vehicle vulnerable to theft and was told that was fine. Showed the female doctor my Handgun Carry license. Went to his office for a couple years now for asthma and a few other small problems before I got my Handgun Carry Permit this past year. I never had any high dollar problem appointments just checkups and I canceled a nerve test for Carpel Tunnel once as the symptoms disappeared.

The treatment of my asthma was basically checkups and prescriptions of albuterol which I still have for now. I asked about a rescue inhaler this last appointment due to having to switch to nebulizers specifically Primitine Mist and she "didn't know" as a response. She being the other current doctor or intern doctor Ludwig in Garner's office.
I signed a Long Term Treatment Agreement allowing them to do Urinalysis testing on me on my second appointment regarding this non-asthma medical problem in which I Open Carried. I was asked about it again and explained it again(and asked if it was a problem) showing my license(as the first time)..was told there was no problem with me OC'ing in their office. Her voice was that of someone talking to a teenage child however, when saying this. I do not appreciate being talked to like a child by someone who claims to be a "professional".

Third very recent appointment this year I go in OC'ing as I feel now that like my dentist they don't mind the 2nd Amendment right of non-criminal citizens to carry on their property if THEY allow it. They are NOT posted as a non-firearm carry area or business as of the time of this writing.

I get halfway through appointment and the female doctor(not Garner) points a light in my eyes which is a pupil dilatation test I believe for drugs of other medical problems, then I get told "we won't be doing long term..this.." trailing off talking "..so I'm doing to refer you to someone that I think you'll really get along with"...and I think WHAT?(this being about the non-asthmas related medication for the ailment I signed a Long Term Treatment agreement with.

As this is told me I'm told I'll be referred to a Nurse Practitioner and am referred to a N.P. Whaley who happens to be the N.P. I canceled with to make an appointment about the matter with Dr. Garner's office. Cindy Whaley is the person I had an appointment with before all I asked Garner's office via Julie Ludwig if they could assist me in their office. Whaley had a patient agreement that allowed them to send patient information to apparently several sources including government sources other than just doctor/patient confidentiality...being the main reason for cancellation in the first place to discuss this at Dr. Garners office with an appointment. I have went to this office for this treatment for several months regarding this current ailment(the one for which I signed an "Agreement") before I started open carrying with my State Certified Handgun Carry Permit.

Now I don't know if this is the full reason..if my (evil(as perceived by those who have never read Aesop's Fables))long hair and my completely legal carrying of a firearm was the reason for sure here, but I was talked to as if I were a child. I do not appreciate this tone from a doctor or anyone that claims to be a professional. I never saw Garner(it's his office), but was asked if I wished to several times. I wish I had now just said yes so I could know better if this isn't some PERSONAL political belief based decision to DENY TREATMENT of a patient(me) that they may or may not be judging completely unfairly due to me OC'ing a firearm in their office with their Permission. If they do not want OC on their property they can post a sign on their entrances to that effect or just ask.

I had just signed the long term treatment agreement form the appointment before this appointment where they are now trying to transfer me to other physicians like tossing a ball to a child.
The ailment I have that requires treatment does not in ANY way effect my competent and legal carry of a firearm with my Handgun Carry Permit, though this woman Dr. Ludwig MAY think this if she is of the liberal persuasion/ideology and by all appearances is.
I found this disturbing and still do, because before I OC'ed into this office there was no problem at all apparently. This problem just appeared after two Open Carry office visit appointments I had with them after I had went in without my gun to start with to ask if they minded. I have respect for what private businesses want on their property even if I don't agree with it and protest their decision.

It's just disappointing to think this may be the main reason I'm being tossed around again like a toy ball between doctors and I'll end up having to look for a new doctor on my own as they have not(as of now) referred me to another acceptable doctor after two attempts. The first without even asking me apparently.

It's ridiculous and it should have been made clearer why I was being tossed into the winds after signing a Long Term Care Agreement with them one appointment, before she decides to toss me. Just because I carried a firearm legally in the office with the permission of everyone in the office? IF it made them nervous they could have just asked me not to carry in their office they didn't have to throw me to a different doctor after several years of being my internal medicine doctor office.

If they/she/he did this for personal reasons based on belief or politics it is illegal to do so(deny treatment)especially when there are life threatening symptoms from stopping suddenly treatment with the medication prescribed to me for this ailment.

The entire experience has appeared to me to be one of non-caring apathy until now where I'm tossed aside like a dirty rag for reasons stated vaguely at best. This is after being told they had no problem treating me for this ailment especially after signing the long term agreement.

This is as sincere and factual as I can make with memory. Apparently you can go to this doctor if you don't mind people that don't appear to care about their patient's welfare and toss them aside for vaguely given reasons and apparently perhaps personal ideologies.

So, that's where I'm at. I don't consider myself paranoid. The vagueness in which Ludwig stated I couldn't be cared for there anymore along with the attitude lead me to believe this was a personal thing. They've are known by others to toss patients around like dirty rags, but I didn't expect it to happen to me over apparently me OC'ing in their office with their permission.
I'm know what's going to happen here. I'm going to have to search for another doctor myself again, because Dr. Ludwig apparently has some personal bias and keeps referring me to unacceptable physicians.
It wouldn't that much of a big deal if the medication I am prescribed wasn't so important to my health and very life should I run out between this doctor switching MESS she created for me again by denying me treatment after I signed a long term treatment form. It's ridiculous and the reasons are vague and seem to be related to my Open Carrying there this year for the first time(s) to their office.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,(THEREFOR) the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. -2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution
Markus

Re: Possible Doctor's bias against OC to refuse treatment?

Postby Markus » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Perhaps I shouldn't have even posted this possible problem/incident here. I know some CC'ers of a certain mindset would cry at me why I just didn't go concealed anyway or without carrying to a doctor in the first place. If anyone thinks the later it goes against logic to say a Doctor's office is "safe" from any crime in which one might need to defend their self with a firearm. Same goes for the doctor's large parking lot for the office located about 2 miles down the road from crack town.
I asked first and they said they had no trouble with me carrying twice and also because I OC 24/7 and I do so only where I'm allowed by this nightmare patchwork of local liberal laws trumping State law as well as ignorant owners of private businesses that post...or just ask. I have never tried to make any kind of show of anything by OC'ing. My guns are mobile life insurance. That's it.

Who knows maybe she did this for completely different reasons such as me telling her how the banning of CFC rescue inhalers has killed 100's to 1000's of asthmatics after her saying that they needed to do it for the environment........
If anyone happens to be interested in this fact I can give you the official website for protesting/reversing this nightmarish decision by liberal environmentalist using junk science. Every signature helps. Off topic, sorry. I nearly died from it myself, however.

As I had just signed a "Long Term Treatment Agreement" with her the appointment before I see no Logical reason and have been given no clearly stated truthful reason for why she wanted/wants to transfer me to another doctor. Asking about the Agreement form on the phone brought forth vague misdirection on her part aside from her denial of "not doing this because of that" when directly asked if my OC was the reason behind her decision. It stinks of bias to me and denial of treatment for personal biased reasons that have nothing to do with medicine or treating my ailment despite her teacher talking to a child toned denials. If it is the reasoning behind this I suppose there's nothing to be done about it anyway. Couldn't afford an attorney and probably could prove less especially if no one really cares.
Doctors are not "a dime a dozen" for me to choose from unfortunately and now I'm in the position of looking for another Doctor myself(which some may be seeing as easy....it's not).
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,(THEREFOR) the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. -2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution
Markus

Postby MitchSchaft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:17 am

I really wish some carry permit holders would understand why an open carry clause was written into our law. It's so you won't get in trouble if you accidentally lift your shirt up too high out in public. Open carry is an invitation for trouble, as you experienced.

On top of that, your element of surprise is gone and any bad guy around knows what you have. It's not the deterrent you may think.
MitchSchaft

Postby macville » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:54 pm

macville

Postby David Lewis » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:43 pm

David Lewis

Postby SomeGuy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:13 pm

J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby Fred762 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 pm

I'm glad someone understood the OP!!..I was confused about 10% of the way thru and I'm a medical professional, tho recently retired!.. OC is legal and NOT just to keep one out of trouble if you 'flash' or 'print' . OC is legal, period, if you've taken the class and passed the BGC. Now, that doesn't mean OC is a good idea...for several reasons: t1. he surprise factor is lost 2. you become the primary target of any perp who happens to be thinking about attacking someone in the area. 3. it scares the hell out of libturds and can get you in trouble from them calling in bogus threat calls. I've carried concealed for many years and never had a problem..never.
Fred762

Postby Idahoser » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 am

You want your wishes respected, but you think their wishes are unreasonable.

Choose which is more important to you. You can't have it both ways. You want to keep the doctor, make her happy. You're not gonna change her mind this way. Maybe invite her to the range or something, but not like this. This is the way the h)0m0s are trying to get their way and it's wrong.
Idahoser

Return to Ask TFA