Business on posted property

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Business on posted property

Postby Sky King » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:34 pm

I have wondered, especially lately with the passage of the new restaurant bill about establishments that share property with banned properties.

Examples of this would be businesses that have stand alone facilities around the parimeter on a parking lot of a posted location. Such as a restaurant that requires you to drive onto a mall parking lot, in this case Wolfchase Galleria, to get to THEIR parking area. The restaurant itself does NOT post a ban.

So, is the restaruants building and parking area under the control of the RESTAURANT or is it considered part of the mall property which is posted?
Sam Cooper
Memphis, Tennessee
Sky King

Re: Business on posted property

Postby David Lewis » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:10 pm

If the land is from the mall holding company (as it likely is), it's under the control of the tenants/managers of the business there, not the actual landowners.

A parallel example: both the Logan's & Chili's restaurants at Cools Springs Galleria in Franklin certainly abut, & are likely on, property leased from CBL, but they're separate business entities, entitled to make their own decisions. Both of these, incidentally, have parking lots that may be entered from the street, or from the mall parking lot.

I think you're good to go.

JMHO...usual disclaimers apply...

David
David Lewis

Postby Sky King » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Thanks, I pretty much thought it would be that way as most property that is leased is under the control of the leasee. The only differance for the businesses around the parimeter of the Wolfchase mall property is that none of them are accessable directly from the street. You must enter through a general access entrance to the mall property which takes you past their prohibition signage. You then can turn into the parking areas for those individual businesses which is usually segregated from other parking by curbing and landscaping.
Sam Cooper
Memphis, Tennessee
Sky King

Postby wlhawk » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:26 pm

When I go a restaurant at Wolfchase, if it isn't posted I've been armed. I avoid the businesses which are posted, as I'm armed.
wlhawk

Return to Ask TFA