[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Belt or Paddle holster?

Belt or Paddle holster?

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Belt or Paddle holster?

Postby SubVetSS522 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:14 pm

I currently use a leather - belt loop holster for my S&W 38 J - 2". I've been looking for a new holster, that won't break the bank, and need to ask for the pro and cons, Belt or Paddle? Also if you have experience with the plastic holsters I'd like to know what you thing of them vs leather.
SubVetSS522

Re: Belt or Paddle holster?

Postby David Lewis » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Personally, I don't care much for paddle holsters, as a style, though I've had a couple, & still use one, occasionally.

IMHO, the best one on the market is from Kramer . It's not cheap, however, especially
in horsehide. A good friend has a couple of them. I've used one of his a couple of times, and it's very comfortable & secure, too. It would be my choice if I were to purchase one.

I have a Galco Fletch...I removed the paddle & replaced it with a TekLok...much more secure, and much more comfortable. The curve of the paddle does not match the curve of my hip, and the ends tended to dig in & be uncomfortable. (Note: I don't like Galco holsters, and rarely use them. This is one of those rare exceptions because I don't have anything else that fits that gun...yet.)

The other paddle I use is a plastic Fobus for a Kahr K40. It's light, secure (for my purposes), and comfortable. It also allows me to don & doff the holster at need--something that's occasionally needed. If I'm starting out with that gun, & don't expect to have to take it off, I use a BN55 from Milt Sparks. Better all around, except for the easy on/off. One thing I like about the Fobus is that it's not much larger than the gun, & it clicks securely into it. So securely, in fact, that neither my wife nor children can remove the gun from the holster.

My preference is for true belt holsters (outside the waistband, for me), or a pocket holster, for a J-frame class gun. Kramer's Belt Scabbard is my all-time favorite. Whatever you choose, I heartily recommend getting horsehide. It's stiffer, tougher, & lasts longer. I have holsters in both horsehide & cowhide, with comparable use. The cowhide got loose; the horsehide still looked brand new.

David
David Lewis

Postby TacticaLogic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Tom,

It depends on how you are physically built... Some folks can wear paddle holsters with no problem, while others have trouble. I have and use both. I have found the Galco paddles work very well for me, and the paddle on the Blackhawk Serpa rigs work so well that you can have trouble actually getting them off. (I loaned one to a MNPD employee one time and when he tried to get it off he actually had to go to the restroom and undo his pants to reach in and get the paddle hooks to "let go.") Depending upon how much weight one carries, or how sharp their hip bones are, paddle rigs can be downright uncomfortable...

Everything is a tradeoff... It is nice to be able to come home and "download" the hardware just by slipping the paddle holster off of the waistline of my pants. The down side to that is, depending upon which type shirt I am wearing, paddle holsters sometimes can cause the shirt to "bunch up" either forward or aft of the holster. Not a big deal, but just a little bother that I don't like.

With the belt rig, I can be assured that unless I suffer a belt failure or a true "holster ripping" confrontation, the holster isn't going anywhere. Nice and secure. The downside is that I don't have the ability to "download" the rig quickly if I have to for some reason. I have long arms and have to carry at the 4 o'clock position in order to be able to draw smoothly. I can not move the holster from a 4 o'clock carry position (with belt buckle being 12 o'clock) to a 3 o'clock or more forward position should I wish to do so when getting behind the wheel. The firearm is trapped between my back and the driver seat. This makes it harder to draw the weapon while seated should you have to do so. I can easily move the weapon from 4 o'clock to 3 o'clock with a paddle rig.

I use a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster (the holster comes with both paddle and a belt slot back plates) about 75% of the time. It fits my Glock 17, 22, and 31 since they are all three the same external dimensions. No comfort issues at all. I have found the same to be try with the Galco Kydex paddle rigs, and even the "ugly" Fobus paddle rigs.

Other times I am carrying my 1911 in a Galco Concealment Paddle rig, nice leather, but with a plastic paddle with a curve that works well for me. For this set up, I also have the matching Galco two magazine pouch with the paddle. It rides comfortably on my left side. Two paddles, one for holster and one for magazines - no issues for me.

I do not limit myself to only paddle rigs though... Bianchi Cyclone #111 (crossdraw or strongside dual purpose) for a 4" S&W .44 Magnum, a Galco Concealment Belt rig for a Glock 21, etc. I have several belt rigs, a couple of which I have made myself. They are very, very comfortable as well.

This is a strong-side pancake style holster for my S&W model 10-6 (1971) that I stitched up on January 30th, while the snow was keeping us house bound up here on top of the hill:

This is a 4.75" Colt Single Action Army crossdraw rig I stitched up back when we had an earlier snow in January... I even made matching ammo loops to slide onto the belt as well. (The snow keeps me in, so I have to do something creative!):

Both of these rigs are nice and comfortable... Made with the loops just the way I wanted them, and made to ride on the belt just where I wanted them to ride.

Once I make rigs like these, I use a combination sealer/dye that keeps the water out and helps to maintain stiffness and the deep boning (molding to the firearm) of the rig. Why make these rigs? Well, I couldn't find exactly what I wanted... I looked all over the internet and in magazines... Then combined the features I liked from the different rigs I saw. I have maybe 16 total hours of work time in the two holsters you see here, and maybe $35.00 in materials. But it was something I was doing for myself... I suffered blisters and cuts... Handsewing is not easy. Would I do it again? Absolutely - and I plan to make another rig for a S&W Model 645 pistol sometime before the end of the month. Right now, I'm just gathering ideas, and will make the pattern right before I start working on the rig.

Louis Awerbuck (named as one of two modern day "pistol masters" by Jeff Cooper before he passed away) once picked up a Fobus holster when we were on break during a class... He looked at us and said (in his distinct South African accent) "They are ugly as hell and are cheaply made, but they damn sure work!"

So... A large part of your decision is purely personal... Looks, costs, etc. Holsters are like women: Some look very good, but can make you very unhappy once you try to live with them - and can cost you a bunch of money if you've made the wrong decision. The ugly ones may, or may not make you happy, but if you made a mistake, you don't feel so bad about ditching an ugly one and losing the investment!

Regards,
Mike
For training beyond the carry permit:

TacticaLogic

Postby SubVetSS522 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:18 pm

Good job Mike and thanks. I opted to buy a used Bianchi with a spring belt clip. The clip fits good and latches tight over my belt. It makes for and easy on and off and I can slide it back and forth for comfort. It's a nice firm leather holster in very good condition and from my point of view very handsome. I don't have to wear it all day as some people do, just a few hours at a time. So far it has worked well and I'm pleased. I considered a paddle holster but the ones I saw did not conceal the hammer, my S&W 38 "J", 2" has an exposed hammer. My Bianchi covers the hammer but the trigger and I wish it did. Someday I will find a holster that covers both and I think I will stay with one that fits on my belt.

Your holster work is great looking, you are a gifted person. The next time I need a holster I may just look you up, that is if you would consider making one for me.

Now I'm on the hunt for a holster for my Taurus PT 738 TCP. I don't like the pouch holster that came with it. For now it just in my pocket.

Bust a cap and be safe.............TomA
SubVetSS522

Postby TacticaLogic » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Tom,

I'm slowly getting into the holster business, and would be glad to make one for you. Just let me know, and we'll get together and discuss your needs.

Holsters for Single Actions aren't normally boned to fit the revolver, but I can do that... Holsters for double action revolvers and pistols can be light boned or deep boned (like the model 10 holster above), buyer's choice... Rigs can be as plain or fancy as the buyer wishes. I can stamp different patterns, just the borders, or leave them plain. I can finish a holster in just about whatever color a buyer wants and will try to get a match (as close as possible) to an existing belt if that is desired.

I've also made "Butt Cuff" ammunition holders for shotguns, and can make them for any caliber rifle as well. I made 4 just before Christmas and gave them as gifts... An example:
This particular cuff was made to look older, as it was going on an older (1902 Iver Johnson Champion 12 ga.) shotgun. It, as you can see, holds six rounds (as opposed to most cuffs holding just 5) and is basket weave pattern stamped. It has a suede leather liner to prevent it slipping on the stock. It is laced on to the stock with leather that matches the suede liner. Here is a photo of the cuff in place... Photo was black and white, but you can see how it works...

I'd be glad to help anyone with holster needs... Everything is made to order, so it is not just a matter of calling me up and saying "I need a holster to fit ______." If I can not lay hands on a firearm of a specific type, I may have to use the buyer's very own gun in order to make the pattern and to do the boning work on a holster. But... that does allow the buyer to say something is truly custom made for that particular firearm.

Stay safe, stay armed,
Mike

TacticaLogic

Postby johnharris » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:52 pm

Mike, with all you are doing I don't know how you have time to get into holster manufacture unless of course you just do not sleep. It could make an interesting chapter meeting topic later this year if you are willing.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby TacticaLogic » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:46 am

John, I pretty much just do leather work when I catch a break or am "snowed in". I had a lot of off time just before Christmas that allowed me to get those butt cuffs made, but it still required some 4:00a.m. stitching in order to get them done in time. They don't look that complicated, but there are a lot of stitches in one of those. That, combined with cutting the leather, stamping, dying, and final polishing, makes for about 7 hours of work. It could be shorter if I had a machine, but then it would just be another "manufactured piece of leather".

If you need a "fill in" speaker sometime, I'll give it a go... But I'm not a holster guru by any means. I just sit and study something for a while, then go to work making it. Maybe the holsters are good... I don't know. I guess I do have to have to believe in them though since I've not been ashamed to wear them in public. I'm always my own worst critic. It did make me feel good though that Roy C. really seemed to like my SAA crossdraw rig at our last meeting.

I do enjoy making something useful out of a big piece of leather, so who knows where this will go?

Regards,
Mike

TacticaLogic

Latest stitchery...

Postby TacticaLogic » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 pm

Home sick today... Sat in the floor and stitched up a crossdraw western style rig for my Cimarron Thunderer in .45LC. This one makes for a good western "belly gun" since the barrel is only 3 1/2 inches long. Border stamped around the perimeter, finished in light acorn brown, with a chocolate brown seude lining.

This one shows a closer detail of the border stamp:

This one shows the holster in full profile:

This one shows the holster's suede lining, along with the revolver it protects:

I will be stitching the belt slide ammo holders for those big .45LC rounds sometime within the next couple of days...

Regards,
Mike

TacticaLogic

Postby SubVetSS522 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Okay folks, here's my take on my Forus Paddle Holster. The concept is great but after wearing it for awhile I found it to be a bit bothersome. My Px4 Storm Subcompact fits quite well and it holds the firearm firmly in place. Here’s my problem with it. The holster is not easy to put on or take off unless you loosen you belt, easy on and off was important to me, you’ll not worry about someone jerking it off your belt. The paddle sticks down farther than I need and puts pressure on my thigh when I sit down and it becomes uncomfortable. Like most cool 68 year old guys I don’t wear my paints up to my navel. Lastly the pistol rides out farther than I like because the holster adds about a half inch from the outside the belt. I bought the model were you can adjust the draw angle and have tried different positions. Bottom line is I believe this is a great competitions holster but it’s not for concealed carry and that's what I bought it for. I’ll just put in the closet for my kids and grand kids to find and say, “what the heck is this”. I'll try a pancake next.
SubVetSS522

Return to Ask TFA