FBI Voluntary Appeal File (VPA) - should I do this?

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

FBI Voluntary Appeal File (VPA) - should I do this?

Postby RobertNashville » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:52 pm

Hello all!

I recently had some difficulty in purchasing a firearm when my instant check came back as denied. When all was said and done, the denial was eventually turned into a Conditional Approval and then a full-fledged Approval (more detailed info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2942 )

When the decision to given the full Approval was made, I received a phone call from the TBI and had a refreshingly pleasant conversation about what had caused the problem in the first place - bottom line is, my “records” are messed up and it took a long time and a lot of effort to get the information they (TBI/TCIS) needed to establish that I really was entitled to purchase. The gentlemen I spoke with advised me to request that the FBI establish a Voluntary Appeal File (VAP) with the Bureau so that the information they need to establish my eligibility is retained/available so that I’m not denied and have to go through the appeal process again when I want to purchase and he has since sent me the information I need (including the records that TBI eventually received) to do this.

That said, I’m wondering…

Has anyone here gone through this procedure and how long did it take?

Is this a process you would recommend?

Would it ultimately be better if, instead of the VAP file, I go through the process of having my record expunged OR should I perhaps do both?

Any info/advice would be appreciated…thanks!
Robert
-My Basset Hound is smarter than your honor student and 52% of the voting public -
RobertNashville

Return to Ask TFA