[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Neighbors pointing laser at homes/pedestrians

Neighbors pointing laser at homes/pedestrians

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Neighbors pointing laser at homes/pedestrians

Postby boomer3701 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:15 am

We've got middle school aged kids in the neighborhood and they seem to have a new airsoft/bb gun with laser sight. In the daylight the toy looks like a small AR-15 clone. What's the legality of pointing laser sights at people or property?
boomer3701

Re: Neighbors pointing laser at homes/pedestrians

Postby johnharris » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:09 pm

There was a law passed a few years ago about intentionally pointing laser pointers at law enforcement. I do not know if that included individuals other than law enforcement.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby redbarron06 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:19 pm

lasers can cause blindness both temp and perm. If they apointing them at moving cars (or really anybody) I would call it assult or battery (I dont remimber the difference) but at the very least this is no different that throwing rocks off of bridges into moving traffic. Talk to the parents, if that dont work talk to the police and see if you can not "make an example"

Army Aviation Association of America
National Rifle Association
Gun Owners of America
Tennessee Firearms Association
redbarron06

Postby David Lewis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:49 pm

IIRC, the law only applied to pointing a laser at a LEO.

While it is true that lasers can indeed cause blindness by burning spots on the retina, the little pointers, & laser sights aren't
powerful enough to do so without prolonged exposure. Simply flashing it across your eyes will likely not cause any damage.
Still, I don't want it done to me, though it's happened on occasion.

I've had more than one discussion with my opthalmologist about them, since I was hit in the face with a lab laser way back when in High school.
We were horsing around with one in the equipment room, & I got it in the face. Specifically had the doc check my eyes for damage. None found.
That led to the beginning of a series of convesations on the topic, over the years.

I doubt that it could be construed as either assault or battery. Talking with the parents is the 1st option, followed by the police. IMHO, the real danger
is not the laser sight, but that they're pointing a BB gun at people. That could get them shot if they pointed it at the wrong person at the wrong time. I'd suggest taking that tack when calling on the parents.

David
David Lewis

Postby ProguninTN » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:46 am

ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby Dan Lee » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:07 pm

David, pretty much summed this up, but if he hits you or someone in the eye with it & causes damage, the parents might be liable for civil damages.. It depends on the intensity of the laser if course, but some airsoft guns can put an eye out for sure.... It might help to kindly remind them of that..
Dan Lee

Return to Ask TFA