[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Stopped by the police - what should you say?

Stopped by the police - what should you say?

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Stopped by the police - what should you say?

Postby mmckin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:04 pm

It appears that the local police in this area (Johnson City) are now asking permit holders if they are "currently armed." My assumption is that they can ask whatever they want, but what obligation do we have to answer them? If I am legally armed, I really have no reason not to be truthful, but why should I have to do that? Can I just say "I don't have to answer that" and then wait for them to kick my teeth in or make up some other BS to charge me with something? Is it against the law in TN to just flat out lie to the officer?

Here is a local story which I consider to be questionable that seems to be related to the treatment of a permit holder by the police:
http://mobile.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9016852
mmckin

Re: Stopped by the police - what should you say?

Postby johnharris » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:51 pm

You do not have to answer the question (see 5th Amendment and TN Constitutional privilege against giving evidence) but if you do, don't lie.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby rheppert » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:18 pm

I've got the impression that the "new" JC chief is pretty much anti armed citizens, based on his parks commentary and other things I've seen. I don't think the former Chief (Street) would have supported such foolishness.
rheppert

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:29 pm

As the chief is an appointment of the Mayor, consider the source of your good fortune. To quote a Tennessee State Senator, "It make a difference who governs!"
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby mmckin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Well, the current Mayor of Johnson City has proven herself to be a non-thinking individual, based on several of her reported statements regarding guns in restaurants and guns in parks. See and
mmckin

Return to Ask TFA