Permit Renewal Delay Problem: renew EARLY!

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Permit Renewal Delay Problem: renew EARLY!

Postby rheppert » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:52 am

I thought Tennessee had gotten all the bugs/ delays out of their system years ago and application/ renewal times were down.

My wife and I have applied for our 2nd renewals, just a few days apart.
I had picked up forms at the DMV in anticipation just before the State sent renewal forms. We filled them out immediately and applied ASAP.
We were each told to contact them if they hadn't been received in 60-80 days.

I filed mine on June 12 and our permits expired on Aug 30. (yes, we know we can carry around the application forms)
Two emails to safety.tn.gov have been ignored.
I called the local DMV office yesterday ( Sept 8th ) and they checked the license numbers and could only tell me they had not been renewed yet.

I could have sworn I heard years ago the State had a maximum of 90 days to process permits by their own regulations (like there was any way to enforce that!).

Has anyone else recently had such long delays for renewals or heard of the State having a particular problem?
I guess the next step is calling long distance to Nasheville and waiting forever.

Anyway, this is fair warning to renew -very- early!
rheppert

Re: Permit Renewal Delay Problem: renew EARLY!

Postby Tim Nunan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:46 am

As far as I know the 90 day requirement only applies to new applications not renewals.
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Postby rheppert » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:47 pm

I finally called the Nashville Handgun Permit office. To their credit, they quickly answered the phone and looked up the info in probably under 2-3 minutes for both of our applications.
My wife's application (submitted days after mine) has been processed and should be on the way.
Mine could take up to 7-14 days MORE for processing! Permit already over a week expired.

My recommentation for anyone renewing: DON"T wait for your renewal notice to arrive. Stop by the DMV about 4 months early, get and application and submit it.
Obviously 90 days isn't enough for renewal!
rheppert

Postby tnroadrunner » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:44 am

Back in 2007 when I renewed mine I printed off the application filled it out made out my check and sent it in and a week later I had my renewal.
tnroadrunner

Postby SomeGuy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:55 pm

In 2009 it runs 4 months. That was what I had to wait earlier this year.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby rheppert » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:48 pm

OK. Finally received permits today, Sept 17. Applied for June 12.
Wonder how long it would have taken IF I hadn't sent two emails and made a phone call.

Also, this time I had to show proof of citizenship, US Passport in my case. I believe somewhere I read residency proof may not NOW be required for renewals(about the time I applied and sat in DMV office for two hours). In that case, there is no reason renewals couldn't be processed online like drivers licenses. Don't know when or if that might happen. Guess I'll find out in 4 years.
rheppert

Postby CharlieC » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 am

My renewal came due last year, so when I got it in the mail I mailed it and my check to the Department of Safety thinking that I had sent it in in plenty of time to get it back before my permit expired, wrong. It took me six months 22 days and two calls to the Department of Safety and two calls to Rep Jim Hackworth before I finally got it. The Saturday after my last call to Rep Hackworth I got a call about 5:30PM from the woman that is the head of the department and she was very apologetic and said she was issuing it as we were speaking and it would be issued on that date, not the date it was originally due. Too bad the 90 day shall issue rule is only for new permit applicants. We really need to to get the law changed for renewals to be issued in a certain time limit.
CharlieC

Return to Ask TFA