[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Spring Hill Has it's Public Library Posted. Srysly?

Spring Hill Has it's Public Library Posted. Srysly?

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Spring Hill Has it's Public Library Posted. Srysly?

Postby Dan Lee » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:25 pm

I might be wrong, but isn't it completely illegal to ban me from my own town's public library because carry a concealed weapon with a permit? :shock: John? Anyone? Can I make them take this down?

I have a feeling this violates both state law, & my constitutional rights. See Here:

Notice Red Lettered Sign to Left

Closer views:

Dan Lee

Re: Spring Hill Has it's Public Library Posted. Srysly?

Postby falcon1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:59 pm

Unfortunately, it appears to be completely legal, and yes, I think they can do it. IANAL, however....

I suspect your only course of action is to win those who control funding of the library (city council or whoever else) over to your side and have them order the library to remove the sign.
falcon1

Postby tdfirearms » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:15 pm

The Smyrna library has a similar sign posted banning on it's doors.
tdfirearms

Postby Dan Lee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:27 am

Ok thanks guys.. I guess they don't want any permit holding gun nuts having the urge to read Shakespeare AND go into a homicidal rage at the same time.. Cuz we all know how many times that's happened right? Sheesh... What was I thinking? :roll:
Dan Lee

Postby KevinMcCauley » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:39 am

What a pompous sign, "particularly firearms"... :roll:
"If we are going to have people in places where there are guns you know they're going to make poor decisions."
- Nashville Police Chief Ronal Serpas

"I don’t want people in my bar not drinking."- Adam Dread
KevinMcCauley

Postby lilredhunter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:15 pm

If it is like the Maury County Library it is a Government building. So they can do it. Also they didn't ban you from the library just our weapons. Bast@rds. Maury Cnty takes the gubment building stuff too serious. Every building that is owned has every entrance posted legally. I just don't get it when it comes to some of the places. The County Mayor told me it was because people like to lose their tempers. I laughed at him. It was like he thought that anyone with a gun was waiting for a chance to get mad & use it.
Chris
A VERY Proud Member of TFA & NRA
lilredhunter

Postby macville » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:20 pm

However, I do believe that they have not LEGALLY banned firearms from the parking because the sign is on the door, not the entrance to the parking lot. Plus, the "legal" wording, which is all that matters, doesn't say anything about the property, just the building. So it is still perfectly legal to have it on the property, just not in the buildings. It would be wonderful if in our next state session we got a law passed that required all public buildings which ban guns to have a security force and make EVERYONE go through metal detectors. That would prevent jerkwads like these people from trampling on our rights since we all know that they don't have that kind of money for every branch library.

It would also be nice if people understood that by leaving our guns in our cars they are 100% more likely to get into the hands of criminals.

Matthew
macville

Postby ProguninTN » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:48 pm

That's a legal sign. It looks like you need convince those in charge to take it down. Williamson County considered posting its libraries last year, but elected not to after much opposition. Unfortunately, parks were another story.
ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby JayC » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:26 am

I'm curious if the city council did this, or if somebody at the library took it upon themselves to... If it was somebody at the library, they may well and have stepped their authority to do so... or at least in the eyes of the council. I'd poke around and demand to know who authorized the posting.
JayC

Postby Dan Lee » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Dan Lee

Return to Ask TFA