[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Not a member yet? Why not?

Not a member yet? Why not?

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Not a member yet? Why not?

Postby johnharris » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:29 am

I ask a lot of people this question when I first talk with them about TFA. Often I get the response that "I did not know you existed." Now, I am operating on the assumption that if you are reading this message, you know TFA exists - what I want to know (publically or privately) what is it about TFA membership that is keeping your away or caused your to leave?
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby MitchSchaft » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:47 am

I talked to a couple people from the Nashville area(they run Thehighroad.org) and stated to me that they joined up a couple years ago, but received a newsletter and didn't see any results. So they assumed that TFA only takes money and does nothing. I stressed to them the importantce of starting up a Nashville area chapter, but they were more concerned about running their website.
Maybe that's how other people feel?
MitchSchaft

Postby johnharris » Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:24 pm

I have not found a solution yet to the issue that some have expressed that they are not "getting" stuff from TFA. TFA operated then and today primarily on donated time. Its entire office, to the extent you could call it that, is a part of my law office. The only people in the administration are Dana Slate, my former secretary, and me. I have a law practice to run and am lucky if I get a few hours a week on TFA and those are spent mostly on legislative and other areas. Dana handles all membership and related tasks. She now has a 2 year old daugther, a full time job as a criminal court reporter, and makes it to my office about once a week to get mail, make deposits, pay bills and handle membership. TFA is near the point (if not past it) that it needs a part time worker several days a week, but I am cautious about spending limited membership funds on staff we may not need.

On a Nashville chapter, there have been several attempts over the last 5 years to start one. As in most parts of the state, enthusiasm quickly turns to "I got better things to do" when the attendance drops to the same 4 or 5 each month.

I would like to see increased capacity to handle membership and chapter development, I just can't put the time into it myself and thus the search for a volunteer(s) continnues. Anyone want to take me up?
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

What happened with the Nashville area chapter

Postby f5fstop » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:11 pm

f5fstop

Postby hkgonra » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:53 pm

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
hkgonra

Why not a member

Postby AtomicTaco » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:25 pm

For a long time I was unaware the the TFA existed. When I did become aware of the orginizations existance, I was not familiar enough with what it did to justify the money. Since then I have done some research and watched from the side lines, and now I plan on joining at the next Knoxville Chapter meeting. Many people that I have discussed the TFA with do not know it exists or are under the impression that the TFA is only an informational website. I have to admit that it is extremely difficult to find any info on TFA activity. The website really doesn't show what is actively happening within the TFA and doesn't appear to be updated regularly, the most recent "NewsFlash" is from October 15 and there is no info on the Knoxville chapter in the local chapters area. I am not trying to be critical, just pointing a few items that have been pointed out to me by others. I think that the membership would grow dramatically if the actual actions of the TFA and it's membership were more visible to the public. I realize that you can only get out of this orginization what you put into it, but I think it would change the perception of a great many people especially those hearing about the TFA for the first time.
AtomicTaco

Re: Why not a member

Postby BulletBillSR » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:02 am

[quote="AtomicTaco"] The website really doesn't show what is actively happening within the TFA and doesn't appear to be updated regularly, the most recent "NewsFlash" is from October 15 and there is no info on the Knoxville chapter in the local chapters area.

Ryan,

We do have a Knoxville Chapter listed under the local chapters. There is no biography on the chapter but I have posted the results of the past couple of meetings.

I'm presently checking on the directions to Bob's Mountaineer Restaurant from the intersection of John Sevier Highway and Chapman Highway. I've only been down there three times, in heavy traffic and dusk to dark so not being a "local" I'm not sure whether you go left or right. I should have that answer tomorrow and will reply to your e-mail.

We have set a fixed date, first Tuesday of each month, the times, 6:00PM to eat, 7:00PM to meet, and the place, which is Bob's Mountaineer Restaurant. We are trying to keep it unifrom so that everyone knows the date, location and times. It's a long drive for some of us and will be for you also but it's worth it.

I appreciate your interest in TFA and you are most certainly welcome to the meetings. I will give you more specific directions when I confirm them. Right now I just go about 23 miles down 441 from North Knoxville :D

Bill 8)
BulletBillSR

TFA recognition

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:07 pm

John,
When working the gun shows at the TFA table the most common answer is "I'm in the NRA they keep me informed." Even when told that TFA is more directly involved in State legislation and issues they mostly just shrug and move on.

Many former members didn't rejoin because a) we don't send renewal notices; b) they are used to getting something at least twice a month from the NRA, even if it's a request for money. This apparently lets them know that the organization still has them listed as a member; c) TFA is primarily an "electronic" organization and a large number of older gun owners either don't use it or are uncomfortably with it. While I acknowledge that this is the quickest, easiest way to disseminate information we should explore using snail mail at least during the legislative session to ensure all our members "get the word".

Part of our problem is not enough PR. The occasional article in the Tennessian (mostly negative) doesn't reach the rest of the State. I understand that the "Headquarters" is sparsely manned and you have often solicited assistance in specific areas. One area apparently needed is Public Relations to issue press releases through out the state.

I agree that information/contacts for the chapters on the TFA site might well motivate more to join the chapters. The Lakeway chapter doesn't require TFA membership to participate in our meetings and I don't think any of the other chapters do either. I do know that several of our attendees have joined TFA.

We reached the point where you should hire a dedicated employee for some of this.
Anonymous

Postby johnharris » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:40 pm

John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Re: Not a member yet? Why not?

Postby wlhawk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:53 pm

I think a large number of gun owners in Tennessee would become members if they became informed of the work the TFA has done for them. This is the only group which has working for the gun owning citizens of Tennessee as its primary purpose. A few months ago, I didn't know TFA existed or why they did. As I became better informed, I saw the need to support them and believe many in this state would as well.
wlhawk

Postby johnharris » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:25 pm

Exactly, the question is how do we best get that information out
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:21 am

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby backwoodsman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:39 pm

hey John, i've worked as a union millwright for 28 yrs now, I'm currently working on changing profession's however, i do find myself on unemployment, more than most, in between jobs and what not, and our liberty and and our freedom is important to me, and my heirs, and these two things are directly effected by the rest of the population ,and that the rest of the population actually are concerned in the same fashion, meaning,they are well informed and not hidden from the truth. if i can help in any way, i believe you have my email from my registering and joining, let me know, and how i will help how ever i can,,, barry
"Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God." Benjamin Franklin
"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus (Roman Senator)

T.F.A.
N.R.A.
backwoodsman

Postby wlhawk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:28 am

wlhawk

Postby johnharris » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:43 am

Yes, TFA has quadfolds that we use at gun shows and other events that talks about TFA, has talking points on our accomplishments and includes a membership application.

We will have a good supply of these at the RK Smyrna show this weekend or you can PM me with a mailing address and we can send them out.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby david_g17 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:20 pm

I think you need a list of accomplishments on the website. Maybe it's there, and I can't find it, but just a simple bulleted list will tell everyone exactly what TFA can do.

Nothing long and legalese, just a few sentences about the rights Tennesseans now enjoy because of TFA's work.
david_g17

Postby johnharris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:54 pm

John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Ask TFA