[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Business "Responsibilty for your defense"

Business "Responsibilty for your defense"

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Business "Responsibilty for your defense"

Postby djstarrider » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Ok, I have a local business that has posted. I spoke with the owner today for over an hour in a very civil conversation regarding his sign. He states that his main concern is his liability over a potential shooting in his business. I know that there is case precedent where business owners have been sued by persons that were injured while in their store due to the fact that the owner has posted the property and therefore prevented the customer from their right of self defense.

I am an insurance investigator, however this is a new topic in this state, at least to me. Please provide any case history where the owner has been sued and lost the case. What I am looking for is a case where the owner of the business lost the suit based upon the fact that they have "assumed the responsibility for the defense of their patrons due the fact that they have denied their patrons of their right of self defense". It is my assertion that a property owner, when they post the property as no weapons, "Assume the responsibility for your defense" while you are on the premesis.

If there is case history for this, please provide precedent. This business owner has a son that is a local liberal attorney, and I am sure if there is precedent, he will conveniently miss is.

The business owner has told me that if he has to legally "assume the responsibility" for the defense of his patrons, and there is case precedent for this, he will most likely remove his posting. The potential risk of a lawsuit that may cost him his business is much more important to him than my purchase of gas or soft drinks.

HELP!
djstarrider

Re: Business "Responsibilty for your defense"

Postby SomeGuy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:00 am

Under the law, it notes that by posting, they are not exempt from any liability.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby johnharris » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:30 am

The TN Supreme Court decision in McClung allowed the issue to go to a jury on an inadequate security case several years ago as to whether a property owner was liable if they knew or should have known of the existence of criminal conduct (in general) and failed to take adequate precautions (including lighting, fencing, etc.) to protect patrons. I am not sure I have seen a case in TN at this time where the issue was specifically whether a property owner was liable for disarming patrons and then failing to provide adequate security however under the rules of evidence that could easily be a fact for the jury to consider.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby djstarrider » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:53 am

[quote="SomeGuy"]Under the law, it notes that by posting, they are not exempt from any liability.[/quote]

Can you cite the TCA law or the language of the law to that effect for me please, Thanks!
djstarrider

Postby djstarrider » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:58 am

djstarrider

Postby falcon1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:59 pm

falcon1

Postby mcgyver210 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:07 pm

I have been thinking about this scenario ever since the restaurant owners started pushing the issue to post.
mcgyver210

Postby djstarrider » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:17 pm

Fantastic, I really appreciate the help, I would never have found that. I have printed the statute and will see that he gets it. At least he will see that it has not reduces his liability by posting. This may make a difference. I'll keep ya posted. So to speak...
djstarrider

Return to Ask TFA