So what happens next TN?

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

So what happens next TN?

Postby buckeye dan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Your challenge to the 10th Amendment and specifically the Interstate Commerce Clause of the 10th Amendment with HB1796 and SB1610 was signed into law by your Governor as I understand it. A law that became official on July 1st correct? I know these bills were very close to the the ones that passed in Montana and will become law October the 1st of this year for them.

My question is will the state of Tennessee take the initiative and challenge Fedzilla first or are you going to wait and allow Montana to take the first step in what will likely be a Supreme Court battle of epic proportions for years to come? You rushed your law through faster than them so I was wondering if you guys were going to jump under the gavel with this?

A curious Ohio citizen
-Buckeye Dan-
Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance
buckeye dan

Re: So what happens next TN?

Postby johnharris » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:47 pm

We do not know at this point the path by which this issue will be brought to consideration before a court. In many respects, it is expected that as a plurality - hopefully - of states enact this or similar laws that we will get to the point of either a constitutional convention on the issue or some form of negotiating position with the federal government over its extensive abuses of the limited authority it was given under the Commerce Clause.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Ask TFA