really need an answer to this one

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

really need an answer to this one

Postby jennywenny » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:35 am

I am live with a relative who has a felony charge from 15 years ago. Can I obtain a gun permit or CW? if so will endanger my relative with authorities if I have a gun? It was a non violent felony, no drugs, no domestic violence,involved. Also I do not have nor ever had any type of record more dangerous than a speeding ticket.
jennywenny

Re: really need an answer to this one

Postby johnharris » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:06 am

Generally, federal law is the main issue here and it provides that your decision to live with someone who is a "prohibited person" does not deprive you of your rights to purchase and own firearms nor to obtain, under state law, a permit. What does happen is that specific precautions need to be taken in order to preclude that individual from have "access" to the firearms, so you will need a safe or other security device because what you don't want is the firearm to just be "laying around" and then that individual to get charged with "felon in possession" violations and/or to be accused yourself of transferring a firearm to someone who you knew could not possess it.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Ask TFA