[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Honeymooning in TN

Honeymooning in TN

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Honeymooning in TN

Postby RandyB » Sun May 31, 2009 4:20 am

Hello,

My fiancee and I finally decided on our honeymoon location, Pigeon Forge, TN. One of the requirements I had was the location HAD to have full reciprocity with West Virginia, as I, and my fiancee, both have our Concealed Handgun License (CHL) and I carry on a daily basis.

I poked around the site for a bit looking for a FAQ that might answer some of my questions and I couldn't find what I was looking for. So I'm hoping, as with other firearm related sites I visit, the members here are helpful and willing to take a few moments of their time and answer a few questions. If I did miss a FAQ, point me in the right directions and I'll check it out.

On to the questions?

-Are there any shooting ranges (public or private) within 30-45 min of Pigeon Forge? How about ranges that rent handguns? She'd probably kick me if I tried to take her to a shooting range on our honeymoon, but I'd rather be informed and not go, than want to go and not know where to go.

-Federal law prohibits carry in courthouses, federal buildings, schools, post offices and such, what other places (such as bars, restaurants, churches, shopping centers, etc) is [i]concealed[\i] carry prohibited in Tennessee?

-Is there a "duty to inform" a LEO (ie traffic stops, DUI checkpoint, etc)?

-Is there a "duty to retreat" law ? If I encounter an armed assailant, must I attempt to escape or retreat, or may I "stand my ground"?

-I have a concealed handgun license, however, I typically open carry while driving, its simply more comfortable. Are there any prohibitions against openly carrying a loaded (with one in the chamber) handgun while in a vehicle?

-Are there any magazine capacity restrictions? Any ammo restrictions? (in New Jersey, hollow point ammo is illegal)

-Is there anything else I need to know in order to remain within the limits of the law?

I'd like to thank you in advance for your replies. I work overnights so I may not give speedy replies, but I will reply when I am able.

Randy
RandyB

Re: Honeymooning in TN

Postby johnharris » Sun May 31, 2009 8:02 am

John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby KevinMcCauley » Sun May 31, 2009 10:16 am

Randy,

Congratulations! Good luck to you and your bride!! Enjoy your honeymoon!
"If we are going to have people in places where there are guns you know they're going to make poor decisions."
- Nashville Police Chief Ronal Serpas

"I don’t want people in my bar not drinking."- Adam Dread
KevinMcCauley

Postby redbarron06 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:31 am

Welcome to Tennessee. Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area is great this time of year. Please check ahead of the time because some of the attractions in the area do not allow carry such as the Tennessee Aquarium.

Have a great time and enjoy Tennessee.

Army Aviation Association of America
National Rifle Association
Gun Owners of America
Tennessee Firearms Association
redbarron06

Postby Tim Nunan » Sun May 31, 2009 12:51 pm

Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Postby RandyB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:28 am

Thank you all for your replies!

We will be honeymooning in October, so we have a bit of time to plan our trip and any activities.

From what I've been able to find and the info provided here I should have no problems as long as I do not carry:
-in places that serve alcohol (no problems there, I'm not a big drinker)
-public parks and recreational facilities
-places that are posted

I'll be sure to check back to see if the battle over places that serve alcohol and state parks gets resolved before my trip.

If any of you travel through or vacation in West Virginia and have questions concerning your carry rights, go to [url]WVCDL.org[/url]. We'd be happy to answer your questions.

Thanks again for your input and replies. I have a feeling my wife-to-be and I will have a great time.

Randy
RandyB

Postby pol mordreth » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:18 am

Randy,
I am an open carrier (full time - i rarely conceal). Just so you know, a permit is required for carry of any kind in TN (unlike states like KY or VA) so the mere sight of a firearm is RAS/PC for an officer to ask you for your permit. I don't know the climate for that in WV.

Congrats on your wedding!

Regards,
Pol
pol mordreth

Postby Lemonhead » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Lemonhead

Return to Ask TFA