DENIED......

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

DENIED......

Postby plottman » Sun May 10, 2009 1:02 pm

I have heard the nightmares and stories, now it has happened to me. I am a 43 year old white male, been employed at the same company for 20 years, I have never, ever, ever........even had the first brush with the law, never even had a traffic ticket. Never been arrested, never been served any order of protection,garishments,civil or criminal, nothing never ever..... ( I wanted to make it perfectly clear). I have bought numerous guns over the years, the longest it took was about 10 minutes, the most recent was about a month ago, again with no problem. I find a great deal on a bolt action rifle at a pawn shop and began the paperwork to make the purchase, well about 30 min later, I was notified my purchase was denied. TBI would not tell the dealer nothing. And gave me a appeal form that he had me complete and immediatly faxed ( I have bought guns there many times before), At this time I was very angry and confused, why? I got the number to TBI and managed to get in contact with the people at the gun check dept. I explained to them that I have never had any legal issues at all, they would not tell me anything but that my name was used as an alias before. That was it, and that i would have to go thru the appeal process. Needless to say I feel violated and stepped on by the laws that are in place to keep guns away from Felons and Criminals. There was little that TBI was willing to do except tell me to go thru the appeal process. Is thier any more avenues or people I can contact who would be willing to help me get my right to buy a gun back ? This has me so angry but I dont know what to do.
plottman

Re: DENIED......

Postby johnharris » Mon May 11, 2009 8:15 am

Although I do not think you will find it in any statute or regs, I have been told unofficially that once something like this pops up and has been researched by TBI through an appeal that the issue is flagged somehow in their system so that it should not happen again. But then again, that is a government for you.....
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby plottman » Mon May 11, 2009 9:53 am

I have been doing alot of research on how and why this happens. I have found that I can place a VAF on file with my prints and any other needed info, I just need to get my prints and send the form to the FBI with a completed application this is supposed to stop it from happening again. I guess we shall see. Thanks for the info.
plottman

Postby wlhawk » Tue May 12, 2009 7:24 pm

I had a similar denial from the TICS several years ago. I filed an appeal and it was cleared within two weeks. The problem has not occurred on the 7 or 8 purchases I have made since that time.
wlhawk

Postby david_g17 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:11 pm

My father had a similar problem with the federal Brady Check. He would get a "delayed" response every time. He lives in Mississippi, and they allow CCW holders to bypass the so-called "instant" check. He got his permit specifically to avoid having to wait around for an hour or so until they cleared everything up. He still has to fill out the 4473 and all, but he doesn't have to wait on the background check. A few states do this.

I love TN, and it would be nice if we could get similar legislation passed. :)
david_g17

Return to Ask TFA