[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act

Postby westten » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:04 am

Friday, January 23, 2009

U.S. Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Rick Boucher (D-Va.), recently introduced H.R. 197-- the "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009"--a bill that would provide national recognition for valid state Right-to-Carry licensees.

The bill would allow any person with a valid carry permit or license issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any other state if the permit holder meets certain criteria. In states that issue permits, a state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal standard would apply. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would simply require the states to recognize each other's carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses.

Senator John Thune (R-S.D.) is expected to introduce the Senate companion bill in the near future. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

I ran across this today and found it interesting... would like to hear some opinions about it worth.
westten

Re: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act

Postby redbarron06 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:35 am

I have mixed feeling about this. Though I would like to able to carry my weapon no matter where I go on vaccation or buisness travels I still see this as a states right. I also think this would be a move to set certain nationwide standards for training to get a carry permit. For example when I lived in Ga my permit was signed by the county judge and required no training like we do here in TN. Currenlty there is a federal law that covers certain jobs, like armored car guards, that is good in all 50 states if, the state that issued the armed guard permit meets certain criteria. One of those being that the issuing state require annual qualification. I do not know if it has changed, but when I had my armed guard card TN only required qualification once every 2 years so we do not meet that requirment.

This would also lead down the slope of other things that "MUST" be honored by other states such a marriage licences between two men or two women from states that allow gay marriage.

This is better off being left up to the state.

Army Aviation Association of America
National Rifle Association
Gun Owners of America
Tennessee Firearms Association
redbarron06

Postby Tim Nunan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:15 pm

I agree that this is best left to the states.

I fear doing this at the federal level is the camel's nose in the tent.
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Postby johnharris » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 pm

I am ok with the idea only if someone can show me where in the Constitution this authority is expressly granted to the federal government.

By power, I am talking about the authority to supersede the rights of the individual states to define what constitutes purely intrastate criminal conduct.

If we open this door it could easily be used against us!!!!!
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby ProguninTN » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:48 pm

ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Return to Ask TFA