[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Renewal Restrictions of Carry Permit

Renewal Restrictions of Carry Permit

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

Renewal Restrictions of Carry Permit

Postby guntoter » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:09 pm

My carry permit renewal came in the mail, and a friend of mine got his too.
He went to the Dept of Safety to renew, and they told him unless he had his birth certificate he couldn't apply for a renewal.

Is this a new rule? As far as I remember we never had to have this before. I have my birth certificate, but he only has a copy of his. They are asking for the original.

Is this right? Is is some new restriction?
guntoter

Re: Renewal Restrictions of Carry Permit

Postby johnharris » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:59 pm

John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby guntoter » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:09 pm

Republicans? Really? I guess in Tennessee Republicans don't always hold the values we expect of them.
For instance, what just happened in the Tenn House a few days ago.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. Clears things up. I guess my friend will have to apply for a lost birth certificate.
guntoter

Postby SomeGuy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:32 am

What of people who renew by mail, or if online is possible, that way?

Also, is it still taking more than 90 days for the DOS to do the renewals?
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby johnharris » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:16 pm

I renewed by mail. Had to send a certified copy of the birth certificate. Sent a stamped return envelope and asked them to mail it back - they did. Don't know if they continue to do that though.

On the 90 days, TDOS thinks it only applies to new permits.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby SomeGuy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:22 am

In other words, renewals take however long they want them to?
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby redbarron06 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:15 am

So here is a question. I got my first TN permit last year. I was not asked provide a copy of my BC. My mother remarried when I was five and the adoption paperwork was never completed so I dont have that and my BC is still in my birth name. I have never gone through the actull process of having my name changed to the one I have been using since I was 5. I was able to enter the military 19 years ago and with a sworn statement I now have a security clearence. I am asked to provide proof when I renew how am I do do that?

Army Aviation Association of America
National Rifle Association
Gun Owners of America
Tennessee Firearms Association
redbarron06

Postby johnharris » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:12 pm

TDOS has listed on its website several types of documents that it will accept as proof of citizenship as an alternative to a birth certificate. Included in that list is a passport.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby redbarron06 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:24 pm

So looking at this list I was able to use my military ID for the initial issuing of my permit. Will I need to show it again every time I renew or will just the first time be enough because I applied just last year?

Army Aviation Association of America
National Rifle Association
Gun Owners of America
Tennessee Firearms Association
redbarron06

Postby johnharris » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:34 pm

It is not clear whether TDOS will require proof of citizenship at each renewal or just "at least once" in order to document it.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Ask TFA