[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - FEDEX Bans Guns

FEDEX Bans Guns

Report instances of news media reports and misinformation. Also, in this area, post copies of "letters to the editors" that have been sent in reply so that others may do likewise.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

FEDEX Bans Guns

Postby General Forrest » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:56 pm

This past fall Federal Express' management issued the order to ban guns from all FedEx facilities. I made a trip to the local Jackson, TN, FedEx terminal and, sure enough, posted near or on the door was a picture of a handgun with the familiar red crossout over it, much like a no smoking sign. I promptly wrote a letter to Fred Smith stating that while I understood FedEx was within their right to issue such a ban, it was a personal affront to a law abiding citizen like me who chose to become licensed to carry a firearm. In addition, I phoned their accounting department closing my long standing business FedEx account and telling them why. The person on the other end of the phone was very sympathetic but, of course, could do nothing. I heard from Mr. Smith's office - the usual liberal pratter about, "...we feel it is in the best interest...." I'm sure the sign will thwart some irate person from entering and blazing away with a firearm someday.
In the meantime, I would encourage each of you to consider writing or calling the companies you deal with in purchasing firearms and related equipment and tell them of FedEx's disdane for law abiding citizens who want to protect themselves, suggesting that they change shipping companies to more gun friendly corporations.
I really didn't want to cancel my account with FedEx because in all respects they are a class act courier, but I felt a stand had to be taken.
General Forrest

Re: FEDEX Bans Guns

Postby johnharris » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:19 am

So, what are the options?
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby tnxdshooter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Postby David Lewis » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:20 pm

The FedEx location I use has a slash sign up, so I presume they don't want carry there, but it's not a legal posting.

Despite the corporate position against guns, they still are shipping them. I recently sent a revolver back to S&W for repairs, & they
handled it smoothly & professionally.

I don't like dealing with an obviously anti-gun company, but I still prefer FedEx over UPS, & the USPS is out of the question, for handguns, anyway.
DHL's performance is so bad I won't even consider them for ordinary shipping.

David
David Lewis

Postby GKar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:54 pm

DHL managed to bend a coil spring meant for use in a race car. It's about 10" tall, rated at 400 lbs/in compression, and has steel coils about as big around as my little finger. If they can do that, they d**n sure ain't gonna touch anything to which I place any personal value...
GKar

Postby RobertNashville » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:34 pm

I’m very hopeful that perhaps by the end of the next legislative session; we’ll all be able to drive to/from our places of employment and be able to keep our firearms in our locked vehicles in our company parking lots while still allowing corporations to exercise their property rights within their facilities. That said, I don’t know that we can label an entire company “anti-gun” because they ban firearms on their property – I suspect that the reality is that for most companies; it has little or nothing to do with actually being “anti-gun”.

Given the “shootings” that have happened at factories and offices (sometimes stemming from personal disputes/ugly divorces/layoffs, etc, etc) it’s not difficult to understand why a company would overact and/or deal with the issue the “easy way” and just say no guns anytime on company property period.

Most of us who are knowledgeable about such things know that such reasoning (above) really isn’t logical…that it’s faulty. But for the company (and those who make such policy at these companies like their HR departments/attorneys, etc.) it doesn’t really matter that most of the incidents they have read about/heard about are likely committed by people who weren’t supposed to be carrying a weapon on them in the first place nor does it matter that someone who is willing to walk into an office or factory floor and start murdering people are probably not going to care about a stupid company policy. Nor does it matter that an armed, responsible citizen/employee might be able to save some lives were such an incident to happen.

The company probably just wants to be able to say “we had a stated policy against all firearms on company property” so it’s not our fault!

Now, I'm not suggesting that we don't let these companies know how we feel about their policies and that "voting with our dollars" when possible is a good thing; but I do think we need to be a bit careful about how we label companies (or people for that matter).

Just my $0.02
Robert
-My Basset Hound is smarter than your honor student and 52% of the voting public -
RobertNashville

Return to Media Misinformation & Reports