[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Restaurant/Media Stick & Carrot

Restaurant/Media Stick & Carrot

Report instances of news media reports and misinformation. Also, in this area, post copies of "letters to the editors" that have been sent in reply so that others may do likewise.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

Restaurant/Media Stick & Carrot

Postby Pat McGarrity » Sat May 16, 2009 10:44 pm

This wont be a surprise, but our Restaurant Carry Bill is getting some negative media coverage, much of it biased and inaccurate. Here are a couple of examples and more importantly, options we have for a response.

FOX 13’s Scott Madaus came across as pompous and reported the story as if a tornado was predicted to hit Beale Street:

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/lo ... ill_Passes

Even the title was biased; "Bullets in Bars.” Best I can tell from the accent, they found some carpet-bagging sheep from Wisconsin to mine this nugget:

“Gary Castonia says, "There's no place for a loaded weapon in a bar nothing good comes of it." Notice that Madaus didn't refer to the places we are actually likely to visit, O’ Charley’s, Pizza Hut, etc, and that this tourist is oblivious to the tremendous dangers we face here from violent crime. He may get an education on that before he heads back to the safety of the Mid-West.

The story drums on to repeat another inaccuracy. “Dennis Flanagan with Silky's on Beale says "That's why they call them concealed so nobody knows you got them…” No Dennis, it’s NOT called a concealed carry permit, although I highly recommend carrying that way. Typical sloppy, opinion based, factually bankrupt journalism, with Scott Madaus seeking to manufacture support for his arrogant, ignorant anti-gun bias.

Scott Madaus can be reached at:

scott.madaus@foxtv.com

And more importantly Scott’s boss, News Director Ken Jobe, can be reached at:

ken.jobe@foxtv.com

Next, WREG Channel 3’s Shaun Chaiyabhat had somewhat more objective reporting, in that, at least they interviewed dining establishment managers both in support of, and opposed to restaurant carry.

http://www.wreg.com/wreg-guns-bars-rest ... 2128.story

Where they missed the target on facts is when they compared the shooting death of Donald Muncey by Deputy Chris Jones to our bill. Coincidentally, Donald was a friend and former coworker of mine, and a very nice person. This senseless killing saddened me greatly. Our restaurant bill passing is not related to an off-duty Shelby County Sheriff’s Deputy making an awful decision. It’s not accurate, or responsible journalism to imply that the overwhelmingly lawful 99.8% of Tennessee Carry Permit Holders in Shelby County had anything to do with this tragic incident.

Keith Lorch, a bar manager at TJ Mulligans, gets it when he says there are already armed individuals in establishments now. He added, "This just gives the law-abiding citizen the right to do it."

The reality that is being overlooked in the reporting on this bill is, criminals intending to commit a felony, such as armed robbery, are more than willing to break the misdemeanor law of being armed in the establishment they are about to rob. That seems like a no-brainer in the world of common sense, but we are talking about journalists…

We should be using both the carrot and the stick, so I plan to spend some money with TJ Mulliganns ASAP and let Keith Lorch know I appreciate his support.

http://www.tjmulligans.com/pinch/contact.php

I believe Mr. Lorch manages the Cordova location.

MPD Director Larry Godwin was interviewed in the WREG story. Even knowing that Memphis was ranked second most dangerous among cities over 500,000, as well as the second most dangerous metropolitan area once again, MPD Director, Larry Godwin says in the story; “I don't need to carry a gun into a restaurant”, as part of his criticism of the bill. However, he cautioned never to leave a gun in a car, saying, in a November 30th, 2008 newspaper article entitled Thieves loot valuables from parked cars; saying "Cars do not make good safes.”

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... r-vehicle/

Respectfully, I doubt Director Godwin leaves his gun(s) in his car when he dines out.

Well, I saved the best for last. Bob Ray; who manages The Butcher Shoppe was very vocal about his distrust of Tennessee’s Carry Permit Holders in the WREG story. Mr. Ray says in the story, "We've been in business 28 years and never had to worry about a gun before," says Ray. "Now they can bring it in." This statement contradicts itself in the same story, you see, probably the most important point not often discussed is that restaurant owners can post their establishments prohibiting armed patrons now, just as they will still be able to do after HB0962, The Restaurant Carry Bill, becomes law. Mr. Ray bleats on to say, "It makes you feel like you've got to watch your back and you shouldn't have to feel like that”, after making it clear that The Butcher Shoppe will absolutely post signs prohibiting armed patrons. (This effectively is a welcome sign for armed robbers, letting them know this is a safe hunting ground).

Please join me in making Mr. Ray happy. I can guarantee you that I won't be in The Butcher Shoppe armed. I can guarantee this because I would not under any circumstances even consider doing any business there again, ever. Not unless Mr. Ray welcomes us and makes a public apology to the 220,000 plus Tennessee Carry Permit Holders and the potential patrons in all of the states that Tennessee has reciprocity agreements with. As a matter of fact, I have already had offers from other Shelby County TFA Members to take an hour a week to visit posted restaurants and let them know we wont be doing business there because of their decision to prohibit armed patrons.

http://www.thebutchershop.com/contactus.htm

Let’s put our money where our mouth is! Please help me maintain a list of which establishments get the financial carrot, and which ones get the stick.

In Liberty,

Pat McGarrity

Director – Shelby County TFA

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

-- Mark Twain

Pat McGarrity

Re: Restaurant/Media Stick & Carrot

Postby KevinMcCauley » Sat May 16, 2009 11:00 pm

"If we are going to have people in places where there are guns you know they're going to make poor decisions."
- Nashville Police Chief Ronal Serpas

"I don’t want people in my bar not drinking."- Adam Dread
KevinMcCauley

Re: Restaurant/Media Stick & Carrot

Postby johnharris » Sat May 16, 2009 11:44 pm

They just do not understand the constitutions.... the news reporters that is....
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Media Misinformation & Reports