FOX SPORTS: Why would go somewhere you need a gun?

Report instances of news media reports and misinformation. Also, in this area, post copies of "letters to the editors" that have been sent in reply so that others may do likewise.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

FOX SPORTS: Why would go somewhere you need a gun?

Postby Pat McGarrity » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:25 pm

Even in sports, these elitist, sheep, media types spread their vile prejudice and unfounded fear of those of us that take the responsibility of protecting ourselves and families. FOX Sports should have this ignorant bigot apologize to the 80,000,000+ gun owners he insulted and have him stick to commenting on subjects he actually knows something about.

From TFA Member, Sam Cooper:

"Pat,

I don't know if you watch professional football or not, I am not what you would call a hard fan but I will watch a game if it is the only thing on.

A NY Giants player, Plaxico Burres, accidentally shot himself in the leg while trying to unload his handgun after being stopped by a security guard at a New York night club. He apparently my be charged for having the gun as New York does not recognize his Florida permit.

I actually was watching the last part of the New York Giants game just a few minutes ago when one of FOX Sports sideline commentators, (I unfortunately did not catch his name) began a commentary concerning carrying handguns. I couldn't believe it, for a minute I though I could be hearing Rep Sontany because he actually asked, "why would you go anyplace where you think you might need a gun". He then went on to say that one time he was entering an establishment and the doorman began to use a metal detector wand on him. He said "wait why do you have to wand people down here?" He then said that he immediately left. The implication was that any place that has to use a metal detector on patrons obviously must be a place where a person may need to have personal protection and he was not going to patronize such an establishment.

I think you probably already know what I did. I immediately went to FOX Sports web site for viewer feedback and fired off a letter. Since it was a feedback page, I can not cut and copy it here but it essentially complained that sideline sportscasters need to refrain from using their pulpit to editoralize on a subject that is heavily debated by persons much more qualified on the subject than him. I also asked him is he carries a spare tire. Why? Do you drive in areas where there are serious road hazards like off road or construction sites?

I then stated that I doubt that Suzanna Hupp thought she needed her gun when she took her parents to eat at Luby's that fatefull day in Killeen Texas.

FOX Sports needs to hear from all of us. We need to remind them that they need to stick with their area of expertise, SPORTS, and stay away from editorializing on social issues.

Sam"
Pat McGarrity

Return to Media Misinformation & Reports