C&R and NFA guns.

A place for Class III interests to be discussed

C&R and NFA guns.

Postby SomeGuy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:21 am

I saw a debate on another forum regarding C&Rs being able to receive NFA guns directly to them, if they are C&R eligible.

I had thought that any NFA gun had to go through a dealer, period. I don't know all the legalese, but I would be interested to hear if my $30/3yr license lets me buy and have shipped directly to me, an NFA gun that is also a C&R (think BAR, or Thompson, and now some early Armalite AR's that are automatic). My understanding is we still have to do the Form 4, and send the ATF the $200 transfer tax, but we can then have it come direct to us.

I went and looked it up, and from what I read on the ATF's website, it appears to be true.

Anyone know more?
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Re: C&R and NFA guns.

Postby johnharris » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:43 pm

All NFA's require federal registration. However, instate transfers between individuals who have NFA's on Form 4's can do direct transfers subject to the ATF's involvement just as with a dealer.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Re: C&R and NFA guns.

Postby SomeGuy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:37 pm

My understanding (from what I read recently) was that C&Rs doing C&R NFA firearms could also go interstate as well, so long as they do the $200 tax and the ATF forms.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Return to Class III