[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - 870 vs. 500

870 vs. 500

Smoothbore world

Moderator: tnroadrunner

870 vs. 500

Postby David Lewis » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:21 am

I hate to see a forum sitting empty, so...

Situation:

You have decided to purchase a shotgun for all-around use, which will include occasional hunting, trap/skeet practice (just to keep up your skills), and last, but not least, home defense. You've narrowed your choices to two models: Remington 870 and Mossberg 500.

Which would you choose? And, why? (you must defend your answer!) :)

David
David Lewis

Re: 870 vs. 500

Postby johnharris » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:40 pm

I have both, have shot both and to me I would take either. In some models, I think the old Mossberg is lighter and looser.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby Waldo0506 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:06 pm

I would get the 870. Although the 500's parts are not hard to find, the 870 seems to have more plentiful aftermarket parts. I can't own a gun that doesn't get altered.
Waldo0506

Postby David Lewis » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:46 am

In all fairness, I should state that I have owned both, and would be well served by either.

I "cut my teeth" on a 16 ga. 870, and prefer the smooth action of the 870, and the availability of aftermarket (or even factory) parts to customize it to suit me.

However, the Mossberg's tang safety and action release are in a much easier to use location. Too, I doubt I'd fire enough 12 ga shells in my lifetime to worry about the difference in strength between the aluminum receiver on the Mossberg, & the steel of the Remington, so that's really a moot point.

David
David Lewis

Postby johnharris » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:38 am

Good points, particularly the aluminum on the Mossberg. That helps quite a bit in its swing and carry comfort for a day walking around in the woods.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby tnroadrunner » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:21 am

I have a 500 which came with a twenty eight inch barrel, I wanted to use this in three gun so I got a twenty inch barrel and took out the dowel to allow me to load six rounds instead of the three. Since I cannot get a tube extention. It does fine.
tnroadrunner

Postby lilredhunter » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:17 pm

I know I am reviving a dead thread but this section seems neglected. I have had both and loved both. The mossy is a little lighter and if I am traipsing the woods the lighter weight is not enough to make any difference to me. But I am partial to the Mossy just because I had it first and and have almost picked a Mossy over other brands. So I guess it is more brand preference to me. Now I am not taking anything away from Remington either because they build a great product as well. I think today if I were going out buying one it would really depend on price and if any rebates were offered or you could get a huge discount on shells or something like that to sway me from one to another.
Chris
A VERY Proud Member of TFA & NRA
lilredhunter

Postby johnharris » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:54 pm

No problem on reviving old threads - there are always new people reading and posting.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby lilredhunter » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks Mr. Harris.
Chris
A VERY Proud Member of TFA & NRA
lilredhunter

Postby tnxdshooter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:19 pm

In my personal opinion there is no better 12 gauge than the Remington 870. Especially for home defense.
Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Postby price g » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:11 pm

I like the location of the safety on the 870 better. It just feels easier to me to keep a sight picture and roll the safety off of the Remington.
price g

Postby RobertNashville » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:52 am

I would suggest that the best "home defense" shotgun is one that is set-up for home defense regardless of what manufacturer made it.

In a gunfight, the first rule is to have a gun and any shotgun is better than no shotgun but asking a shotgun to do double duty is a bit too much to ask in my opinion unless you just don't have a choice...just the barrel length alone needed for a decent skeet/trap shotgun is problematic for a gun you want to use for home defense.

As a rule, a basic shotgun configured for home defense really isn't that expensive; especially if you buy a good used one and that's what I would suggest doing. That said, both the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 are excellent shotguns for the money and I've owned examples of both. I currently have a Remington and a Benelli, both set-up specifically for home defense.
Robert
-My Basset Hound is smarter than your honor student and 52% of the voting public -
RobertNashville

Postby David Lewis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:49 pm

David Lewis

Postby C. Richard Archie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:52 pm

I have an old, and I mean old, Browning Belgium Auto 5. Standard 2 3/4" chamber. I bought this gun when I was 14 years old, can not begin to estimate the number of rounds down the tube. Years of carry and miles of briers wore the stock and fore end out, I now have a set of black overmolded stocks on it. It wears a 18.5" barrel bored for tubes, stays loaded with #4 buffered buck, and when something goes bump in the night, it is what I pick up.

I have a 20" rifled barrel for it, a 26" again bored for tubes, the original 26 improved cylinder barrel it came with, a 28" modified that has killed more doves and ducks than most other shotguns, and a 30" full that ate geese for breakfast when lead was still legal. The bluing is mostly gone, and it looks like death from the muzzle end.

Is it a high end, extended magazine tactical wonder? No! But, when the chips are down it feels like an old reliable friend in my hands. I like the old hump at the rear, gives me a reference point and sense of familiarity that is soothing when the blood is up.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby TacticaLogic » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:47 pm

For training beyond the carry permit:

TacticaLogic

Postby RobertNashville » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 am

Robert
-My Basset Hound is smarter than your honor student and 52% of the voting public -
RobertNashville

Postby RobertNashville » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:50 am

Robert
RobertNashville

Postby tn308fan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:03 pm

I have had probably 20 or so 870's mainly for hunting but have a couple for home defense.I have a 20 ga 870 with the knoxx stock for my wife,a Model 870™ Express® Tactical A-TACS Camo in 12 ga.I cut my teeth duck hunting with a 870.I have killed a bunch of turkeys with the 870 12 ga.,and never had any problems.I have read on other forums that Some people have problems with the 870 in recent years.I dont see that.I have had 3 or so Mossberg 835's.These are brutal to shoot unlike the Rem 870 supermag.I have also a 500 with a Knoxx stock and a aimpoint on it for home defense also.I have not had any problems with the Mossbergs.The military as you know uses the Mossberg.So that say s something.For hunting I have to give the nod to Remington,for self-defense I don't have a preference.
tn308fan

Postby tnxdshooter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:34 am

The other day I saw a deal in the chattanooga paper. This guy in Ringgold had a mossberg 500 with 28" ported barrel on it for sale for 300 dollars. I went and looked at it and it looked to be in really good condition. I talked the guy down to 200 dollars and made the purchase. I have purchased an 18" barrel from mossberg for it which I plan on having ported as well (main reason is because the 28" is and I kind of want everything to "match" if I decide to sale it later). I am keeping all the stock parts in case I should ever sale it or want to use the 28" barrel for hunting. I have purchased some ghost ring sights for it from mossberg, a 6 position black hawk spec ops knoxx stock with pistol grip and a universal cheek rest for it, as well as a black synthetic forend pump to replace the wood pump on it. I plan on trying out the knoxx stock and if I dont like it then I will get me one of the speed feed regular type synthetic stocks for it later. I will post pics of it when I have the project completed. I have also looked into a piccatinny type tri rail adapter that goes on the mag tube to install a flash light on it. This was just to good a deal to pass up for the price I felt. So now I have added to my gun collection with my first shot gun. I intend to add an ar and ak later.
Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Return to Shotguns