[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Custom Wildcat T/C Encore

Custom Wildcat T/C Encore

Everything from shooting, to investing to fixing them

Moderator: tnroadrunner

Custom Wildcat T/C Encore

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sun May 31, 2009 8:36 pm

I love the T/C Encore platform, and decided to build a set up to my own personal liking.

The break open action tends to operate best with a cartridge that has a rim, allowing headspacing there instead of the shoulder. The rim aids in reloading to minimize case stretch.

I settled on the .307 Winchester as the parent case, and having long been a fan of the quarter bore, decided on .25 caliber for the round. I had the work done by Kim at Chase Mountain Custom. We decided on a "stub" barrel set up, which is taking a donor barrel and cutting it off just forward of the attachment lug, boring it out and threading a barrel blank to fit, this allow for chambering the new round to fit. The barrel we chose is a Pac Nor Polygonal, Full Varmint Contour.

Here is the rifle as received from Kim.

The parent case, the fireformed version, beside a .243 case for scale.

The first target that I produced. 100 yard 5 shot group. I had a one holer going till I choked and pulled the last shot.

Deciding to go synthetic for a working stock, I purchased a shotgun forearm, used a deep well socket covered with sandpaper to relieve the channel to the proper dimension for free floating, then threaded in pillars and used Devcon to bed the pillar area.

First game taken.

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Re: Custom Wildcat T/C Encore

Postby David Lewis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:28 am

Sweet!

I love single-shots!

David
David Lewis

Postby C. Richard Archie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:10 am

I have a second wildcat for the platform that I am working on now. Have taken my heavy barreled .223, and had Mike Bellm re-chamber to a .225 Winchester AI. Should give nearly .22-250 velocities without the barrel wear. Again, this case offers a rim which is advantageous for the break action model. I am in the process of developing load data for this round. Should be a screamer when all is said and done.

A few of the cases for this one just after annealing and prior to fireforming.

Center case is the final form of the cartridge. Notice the sharper shoulder angle, resulting from the case being "blown out" to gain more powder capacity, as well as forming less taper to the case to aid in limiting rearward bolt thrust and extending brass life.

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby redbarron06 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:14 pm

I have an encore and it is about al I hunt with. I love it. Got 2 rifles, the ML and a shot fun barrel for it.

Army Aviation Association of America
National Rifle Association
Gun Owners of America
Tennessee Firearms Association
redbarron06

Return to Rifles