[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - M1A, M14, or similar

M1A, M14, or similar

Everything from shooting, to investing to fixing them

Moderator: tnroadrunner

M1A, M14, or similar

Postby Ed__357 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:37 pm

I am interested in purchasing a .30 cal semi-auto rifle of some sort in the near future.

I've never owned one before, but I currently own the AR-15.

I've got several questions if any of you care to chime in:

1). What kind of price could I expect to pay. Are they expensive? Or could I find something similar in price to my AR-15?
2). I've heard they are hard to find. If so, why?
3). Is there a gun shop or dealer in the Nashville area that carries these?
4). I've done a little checking online, but everything is vague, out of town, used, old, etc....
5). What other possibilities do I have for an affordable .30 cal (308) semi-auto? It does not necessarily have to be an M14 or M1A. I just used that as an example.

Thanks
It's best to let the world "Think" you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Ed__357

Re: M1A, M14, or similar

Postby jarhead » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:09 pm

I am, by no stretch of the imagination, an expert on firearms. That said, here is my reply:

Depending on the model of M1A, they can run anywhere from about $1400 for the basic model up to over $2k for the Super match or Whitefeather editions. The National Match is probably the best choice (imho) because of the upgrades in sights and barrel.

They are not hard to find. Any gun dealer should be able to order one if they do not have it in stock.
You can try any gun shop i.e. East side gun shop, Guns and Leather in Greenbriar, Goodlettsville gun shop, Franklin Gun shop and my personal favorite...Bellshire Hardware.

If you find one online you want, any of these shops will do a transfer and background for a reasonable fee (usually about $30-$50).

Other choices might be an M1 Garand, HK91, PTR91, AR10, SAR and if money is no object...PSG-1. I'm sure there are many others but that is a good start.
The current crop of HK91 clones like the PTR91 is probably the most affordable option. Do some research and let your wallet be your guide.
The LORD [is] on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? -- Psalm 118:6
jarhead

Postby TacticaLogic » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:58 pm

The LAR-08 by Rock River Arms operates almost identically to your AR-15, and was retailing at the guns shows last August for $1,185, plus tax and TICS...
For training beyond the carry permit:

TacticaLogic

Postby John Sides » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:38 pm

You cant beat a Springfield M-1-A. My M-1 is so much fun and will shoot a sub 1" group all day long.
Attachments
firearms_018.jpg
firearms_018.jpg (72.23 KiB) Viewed 7450 times
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
John Sides

Postby JTravis » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:46 pm

Another option is the M1 Garand. Granted, it would be a used example (although it is possible to buy a restored one) and you just can't beat them for a quality weapon. Here's my M1D (the sniper version) to give you an idea...

The sniper versions are much more expensive, but a standard version can often be found for about what an AR-15 goes for in today's market. Plus, the surplus .30-06 ammo is MUCH cheaper and easier to find than .308 is today- something to consider if you want to shoot it a lot.
Those who fail to defend their rights will live under the rules of those who don't.

JTravis

Postby Hardtarget » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:16 am

Here is a web site to check. "Go LSN" They sell EVERYTHING on that site. I've seen several M1 and M1A guns. Most are in mid Tn.
I'm a bit late with this...you may have already found what you were looking for.

Mark
Hardtarget

Postby bobsguns » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:29 pm

Both Specialty Arms & Guns & Leather offer M1A's for sale. As mentioned, normal pricing is $1200-1400+, depending on the model. I would suggest avoiding the synthetic stock as they're cheaply made.

I would also suggest looking strongly at the AR-10 rifle by Armalite. They offer all the usual configurations ala` the AR-15. Armalite offers a lifetime warranty for their name brand & also offers a slightly cheaper brand called "Eagle". Both parts will interchange, the only "real" difference is the price & warranty, IMO.

The AR-10 shoots .308, just as the M1A does. The much, much better advantage of the AR-10 is its versatility of changing the upper(s) as well as ease of mounting a scope. The M1A scope mount is both expensive & not too sturdy, IMO.

My .o2
bobsguns

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:38 am

One more consideration as to weapon type, is the headspace issue with regard to longevity of brass life in reloading. An issue now that ammunition has become the hard to find commodity that it is. Brass life for a M14 is normally 3-4 firings before case stretch renders it unsafe to reload, the AR's tend to have different chamber dimensions, and with attention to detail will allow 8-10 uses of the same brass. Evidently the chambers on the M series rifles are sized to allow any ammo to function, various makers having different specs.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby johnharris » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:05 pm

Excellent and interesting point.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby wlhawk » Sun May 03, 2009 9:42 am

The Springfield Armory M1A ranges from about $1530 for a Standard model to $2150 for a National Match model. The customer service and lifetime warranty would make these rifles worth looking at. I've seen several of these in stock at Guns and Ammo in Memphis.
If you're interested in a lower cost, the Civilian Marksmanship Program has M1s available with a wide range of prices and conditions.
wlhawk

Return to Rifles