[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Help for pvt shooting range!

Help for pvt shooting range!

Handgun for sport, self-defense and hunting. Anything on handguns is fair game.

Moderator: tnroadrunner

Help for pvt shooting range!

Postby Fred762 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:28 pm

GF and I built a single lane outdoor pistol range up into a hillside behind her house( out in the county). BTW many folks shoot regularly on their own property in the area, so it really wasn't much of a problem.
We put up a wood picnic table at the downhill end to use as a shooting bench/seat and a sandbag wall 3' high and thick as an extra backstop , behind the upper end which is dug 4' down into the hill... The primary backstop is into dirt and targets are hung from a 2x6 across the end. Works fine, but we want to see if there is some simple way to reduce the noise that is heard to the sides of the range, just as a favor to the locals.and OUR ears. Something simple but easy to set up would be nice.

Does anyone know of any easy solutions to noise abatement? It needs to be easy to take down and put away so it does not have to sit out in the weather all the time! LOL Williamson Co Sheriffs deputies have inspected it and pronounced to safe and a 'nice range'.
Fred762

Re: Help for pvt shooting range!

Postby David Lewis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:55 pm

I dunno Fred...I'd probably have to shoot on it a few times to see if I can come up with something...

:mrgreen:

David
David Lewis

Postby 1gewehr » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:19 am

One of the nicest ranges I ever shot at had evergreen bushes and trees on both sides of the firing positions and for about twenty yards downrange. The dense foliage year-round dropped the noise level a lot.
Nemo me impune lacessit
1gewehr

Postby Fred762 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 am

Fred762

Postby Hardtarget » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Have you seen the"shoot through cylinder" for sound abatement. A barrel open on both ends with insulation layered on the outer edge. Put the muzzle just barely inside. It will reduce the sound some but you can see it isn't exactly..."non cumbersom". I don't have one of these contraptions. I've only seen these a time or two in photos. You would need some kind of system to elevate it from bench height to standing . Can be done...I guess. Probably not worth the trouble...just shoot and be safe.

Mark
Hardtarget

Postby Fred762 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Solution..I built my own noise abatement aparatus: out of plywood and fiberboard wall board insulation...it helps some wh is what I was looking for. Soon I will try to hang some 'baffles" at either end to further decrease the noise..maybe it will be helpful. Basically the same principle as a big "noise barrel" but rectangular, about 4' long. We shoot thru the thing easily as it sits solidly up on the picnic table we use as a 'shooting bench' and doesn't roll around like a round barrel would..
Fred762

Return to Handguns