Age for teaching how to use a handgun

Handgun for sport, self-defense and hunting. Anything on handguns is fair game.

Moderator: tnroadrunner

Age for teaching how to use a handgun

Postby tdfirearms » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:43 pm

What would be the approximate age to teach my son how to use a handgun? I went out today and let him shoot my Taurus PT-99 (9mm) and my Glock 31 (.357 Sig). He could handle the 9mm. He handled the Glock OK, but was more comfortable with the 9mm. He did say that he like the way the Glock shot better than the Taurus. My wife was not to impressed that I let him shoot them.
tdfirearms

Re: Age for teaching how to use a handgun

Postby 1gewehr » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:00 pm

It is different for each child. I have seen 8 year-olds who I felt perfectly comfortable about handling and firing pistols. Some children never develop that sense of responsibility.
The problem with children and pistols is that it MUCH more difficult to ensure that they handle the firearm safely. What is important is that the child be very careful about the handling of the firearm. I do not believe that I would consider allowing any child under 12 to handle anything more powerful than a .22 or light .38Spl load.
Nemo me impune lacessit
1gewehr

Postby David Lewis » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:17 am

You don't say how old your son is...but only you will know best when to begin. If you think his maturity level is sufficient,
start teaching. One of the best things you can do to teach a child about guns is to remove the curiousity. If your guns are
objects of mystery, always hidden away, and he's never allowed to see, touch, or fire one, nor taught how they work, their destructive
capabilities, and how to handle and control them safely, then you've done him a grave disservice, and potentially laid the
groundwork for a tragedy.

Do age appropiate activities & tasks with him. If he's too small to shoot, let him watch you. Afterwards, have him help you
clean your guns to familarize him with them. If he asks to see one, take the time to show it to him safely (always demonstrate
proper technique: unload, check, double-check, hand it to him action open, etc...). I've done this with the children of close
friends before I had children, and later, with my own. I always told them if they wanted to see (which includes handling, of
course) a gun, all they had to do was ask. If it was an appropriate time, we would do it (i.e, don't ask as we're headed
out the door or about to sit down for a meal). Many nights, my son has opted to "look at a gun with Daddy" rather than hear
a bedtime story.

I started teaching my son actually to shoot around age 6 (he's 12, today). However, his instruction in safe handling of
firearms began when he was too little to hold one without assistance, and continues to this day. He's shot a variety of
guns, but in handguns, likes my Beretta 92FS best (surprisingly, that big grip fits his hands comfortably), and he has
a darn good modified Weaver presentation, too!

He's still a child, & has much to learn...but he's safe, becoming a good shot, and is trustworthy with a firearm. Because
of this, I can, & will, turn my back on him with a loaded gun; I can't say the same for a great many adults I know.

Massad Ayoob has a great little book (more of a booklet, really) called Gunproof Your Kids. It has excellent ideas for
safely teaching your children about guns.

Good luck with what I consider one of the greatest responsibilities, and also greatest joys, of fatherhood!

David
David Lewis

Postby tdfirearms » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks for the responses. I intentionally left off his age on the first post to see the open responses. He is 11 1/2. He has taken the Hunter Safety Course. He is very responsible for his age. He has shot several long guns. Saturday I let him shoot my Taurus PT-99 (9mm) and my Glock 31 (.357 Sig). He shot the 9mm pretty good. He said he liked the way the Glock felt and shot, but it had too much recoil. My wife was not very happy with me teaching him (thinking he was too young for handguns). She does shoot handguns herself.
tdfirearms

Postby C. Richard Archie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:13 pm

How far we have come in our sensibilities over the course of a few generations.

It was a general happening in our formative years as a nation, that a 12 year old was accorded status which allowed for ownership of firearms, and acceptance into their use for hunting and personal protection.

Having been "raised" in the backwoods of West TN, I received from my Grandfather (with my parent's permission) a .22 cal. single shot rifle and a Stevens pump 12 ga. shotgun upon my arrival to that auspicious age. Along with them, I was taught the mechanics of care and safety in their use.

In turn, when my son reached that age, I placed in his charge his own 20 ga. and .22 cal. rifle, I guess more as a tribute to history than necessity, but following a tradition recognized by my family.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby David Lewis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 pm

I learned to shoot prior to age nine--that's when I was given my BB gun by my grandparents. But, I'd already cut my teeth
on the old Remington 514 single shot .22.

I was given my 1st firearm, a Winchester M190 .22 auto at age 11. As with you, Richard, I was charged with the care &
feeding of it. I also took on the cleaning & maintenance of the Remingto 514, and the shotguns, and anything else my
family would let me shoot or clean.

My uncle sent me that old Remington to pass on to my son; which I will do. It's part of our national, and family, heritage.
He knows about it, has seen & shot it, but it's not his yet--I'm not through with it! :mrgreen:

David
David Lewis

Postby wlhawk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Some ranges have classes for children on the safe use and handling of firearms.
wlhawk

Postby Rbtama101 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:12 am

My son fired his first shot at Guns and Leather, when he was 7 1/2 with a 9mm M+P. Since then, he has fired every gun in the house, pistol and rifle, except for the .270 (because Mom said it hurt in front of him, can't blame him...still hurts me). His favorite is the AR15 with scope. He has a single shot bolt action .22 rifle he keeps in his room. He's 10 now, pushing 11.

I'm proud.

I believe that if you parent right and teach them right any child can learn how to do anything with practice and caring.

My co-workers couldn't believe that I bought him a slingshot for his birthday last year...I thought to myself "if they only knew". What saddens me is that their children are slightly older and they don't trust them with even a slingshot? How sad. No wonder we have so much trouble out of children these days, we don't force (help, teach, encourage) them to grow up.
Rbtama101

Postby EyeCnu » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:26 am

My father taught me, I taught my son, and when my daughter is at a level of maturity to safely learn I will teach her too.
EyeCnu

Return to Handguns