[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military pistol

CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military pistol

Handgun for sport, self-defense and hunting. Anything on handguns is fair game.

Moderator: tnroadrunner

CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military pistol

Postby lilredhunter » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:07 am

Does anyone have a CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military pistol? If not does anyone have a good knowledge of them? I am looking at maybe picking up one. The thing is I have no first hand or working knowledge of them and needto get a little info. I am looking at one to be a cheap carry or a BUG.

1.) Roughly what is the weight?
2.) Reliability? I know they are surplus and are C&R eligible. Ofcourse I am smart enough to know one of these will be a major gamble in a way.
Chris
A VERY Proud Member of TFA & NRA
lilredhunter

Re: CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military pistol

Postby 1gewehr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:22 am

They are about the same size as the Beretta 84. The 9x18 cartridge has a bit more punch than a .380, so it does recoil a bit more than the Beretta. Since it has a double-column magazine, it's a bit thick in the grip. That might make a bit more bulky than you would like for CCW. For many people, it's not a problem. The pistol is very ergonomic and feels good in the hand with natural pointability. I had to get two as my wife appropriated my first one.
Spare parts are not a problem as CZ-USA carries them. Spare mags can be pricey, running $30 and more. Do not bother with aftermarket mags unless you plan to use them for FTF drills.
If you are in the Nashville area, drop me a note and I'll let you shoot mine. I have yet to hear of any reliability problems.
Nemo me impune lacessit
1gewehr

Postby Ed__357 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 am

I owned a Makarov for a while. It was cheap and a "Soviet Block" weapon I thought would be cool to own and shoot. So I bought it. I only shot it a few times, mainly because when I pulled the trigger nothing would happen. The typical response was something like: "Click, BOOM, Click, Click, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, Click, BOOM, Click, Click, Click,...etc.... Seriously. I decided it was not a gun I'd ever consider carrying, as I'm not going to risk my life on an unrealiable firearm. And if it doesn't fire every time, and not worth carrying, then why own it? So I sold mine. I'll never own another crappy gun.
It's best to let the world "Think" you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Ed__357

Postby johnharris » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:03 am

John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby 1gewehr » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:04 am

John, notice that Ed was referring to a Russian Makarov. That is decidedly NOT the same as the CZ82. Second, I would suspect he was having an ammo issue, not a firearm issue. Surplus Makarov pistols are typically very reliable. Some of the ones Russia made specifically for export to the US were not properly de-burred and had issues as a result. In any case, since he did not find the problem, I am inclined to disregard his input.

As I stated before, the CZ82 is an excellent-quality pistol. I now have three (in addition to my wife's), and none has given me a problem. I have fired several types of inexpensive ammo and they have been trouble-free; Soviet surplus FMJ, Wolf FMJ, Wolf HP, Sellier&Bellot FMJ, and Hornady HP. I repeat my offer to let you shoot one for yourself. If you want one, I would encourage you to get it soon. The supply is starting to run low, and some distributors are out. When that happens, prices will climb rapidly. I am planning to go to Stones River Saturday morning. Come along and I'll bring my CZs (including my CZ-75 with over 24,000 rounds through it).
Nemo me impune lacessit
1gewehr

Postby johnharris » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Understood, my comment is more general. If you are going to invest in firearms purchase high quality as they are generally safer and more reliable.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Handguns